Alien Ant Farm is a metal band whose breakthrough hit was "Smooth Criminal", a Michael Jackson cover. In the radio version you can clearly hear the samples of Michael's yells. Their bassist does the Jackson vocals when they perform the song live.

Headed by singer-songwriter Dryden Mitchell, with guitaurist Terry Corson, bassist Tye Zamora, and drummer Mike Cosgrove.

Discography


Personally, I was unimpressed with the rest of ANThology. Perhaps because "Smooth Criminal" is such a great track, the rest of the album seemed dull in comparison. Of course, I only listend to part of each track in Borders...

The cover (rerecording another artist's work) is a long-standing tradition in modern (twentieth-century) music. Permission granted and properly credited, there's nothing wrong with a cover.

Alien Ant Farm's ANThology album sounds rather like a genious mixture of Incubus and Papa Roach, but don't try and compare the band to either of these outfits too closely. They radiate a unique balance of Dryden Mitchell's powerful vocals that, at times, have the ability to send a shiver down your spine, Corso's blinding guitar riffs, Zamora's astonishing funk touched bass experties and Cosgrove's controled madness upon the drums. The album is in truth absorbing to the extent it draws u in and touches u, its hard to turn it off, there seems to be a strange sense of loss whenever u return the cd from the player.

The album opens with an explosion of noise, 'Courage', which knocks the listener backwards with its powerful lyrics and heaviness. The single, 'Movies' closey follows. Undoubtedly a classic, 'Movies' is though not the best song on the album. 'Flesh and Bone' and 'Attitude' are good examples of the maturity the offering also possesses. 'Universe' is slightly darker than the other tracks, but its agressive lyrics capture the absolute power of the song, with a chorus that is pure brilliance. Another highlight is 'Standed' which sounds a lot like British outfit My Vitriol in places, and with the quite stunning cover of Michael Jackson's 'Smooth Criminal' the album has everything. Humour, power, funk and some very mellow moments.

It is though important not to forget the album's secret weapon, the truely inspirational 'Calico' which opens with Mitchell's voice exploding into song, its the best opening to a song you are likely to find and the rest of the song doesnt dissapoint. Mitchell cries out, 'So make it real, just make it real' and you have to just sit back in awe.

Of course, like all things, its open to opinion, but this is quite simply a masterpiece.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.