The following is a National Child Safety Council booklet from the early 1980s. It was designed for children, to help them understand and prevent sexual abuse. It contains drawings of young rabbits and other common animals, and features green and red pictures and text, so that youngsters can easily distinguish between good and bad. If I get any requests, I'll put some of the pictures on the web.

ALL ABOUT TOUCHING

The Right Kind and the Wrong Kind

Most of the grown-ups, who touch us, are GOOD GUYS. Their touching is ALL RIGHT.

But, some grown-ups who may try to touch us are BAD GUYS. Their touching is ALL WRONG.

The problem is knowing how to tell RIGHT TOUCHING from WRONG TOUCHING, and knowing what to do about it, to keep from being hurt!

This booklet will help you.

First, let's read and learn about RIGHT TOUCHING by the GOOD GUYS. Then we will read and learn about WRONG TOUCHING by the BAD GUYS.

-------

Touching by our GOOD mom and dad is USUALLY GOOD and RIGHT. Their touching means that they care about us, and want us to always stay safe and happy.

Touching by our GOOD sisters and brothers is USUALLY GOOD and RIGHT. Their touching means that they care about us and want us to stay safe and happy.

Touching by our GOOD grandma and grandpa is USUALLY GOOD and RIGHT. Their touching means that they care about us and want us to stay safe and happy.

Touching by our GOOD doctors and nurses is USUALLY GOOD and RIGHT. Their touching means that they care about us and want us to stay safe and well.

Touching by our GOOD teachers and babysitters is USUALLY GOOD and RIGHT. Their touching means that they care about us and want us to stay safe and happy.

-------

There are two kinds of touching. One is ALL RIGHT and is from GOOD GUYS. The other one is ALL WRONG and is from BAD GUYS. Our job is to stay aware and on guard.

WRONG TOUCHING from BAD GUYS can get our thoughts all mixed-up so we don't know what is happening. We will feel confused and scared.

WRONG TOUCHING from BAD GUYS, who do not care about us, may even cause us to have bad scary dreams about them every night.

Your body belongs only to you, and you must always protect it from any WRONG TOUCHING from BAD GUYS you know or don't know.

-------

The RED SIGNAL light means STOP! Think of your body as having a RED SIGNAL PART. Any BAD GUY who touches you there must also STOP!

If BAD GUYS touch your body on the RED SIGNAL PART, or if they force you to touch their bodies on their RED SIGNAL PART, that is WRONG TOUCHING. Say "STOP!"

WRONG TOUCHING is usually done by BAD GUYS who are older and bigger than you are. They may warn you to NOT TELL anybody, but pay NO ATTENTION.

WRONG TOUCHING may seriously hurt you the next time it happens. Always tell someone you trust (your parents, teacher, doctor, or a police officer), so that the BAD GUY won't bother you again.

WRONG TOUCHING is often done by BAD GUYS who may try to fool you into thinking they are GOOD GUYS. DON'T BE FOOLED! Stay on guard, so you won't be hurt by them.

WRONG TOUCHING is often done by BAD GUYS who act nice, talk nice, and look nice. They may even be a relative or anybody you know. Stay on guard.

WRONG TOUCHING of the RED SIGNAL PART of your body by a BAD GUY is all wrong, no matter what the BAD GUY may tell you. Stay on guard.

WRONG TOUCHING will give you some strange feelings that you won't understand. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY, "STOP!"

-------

If you are confused and wonder about any kind of touching, ask a trusted adult friend about it, so you will understand and be aware.

REMEMBER: All GOOD and RIGHT touching makes us feel calm and happy. BAD and WRONG touching makes us feel upset and unhappy. Be on guard!

WRONG TOUCHING between related members of the same family is called INCEST, which is forbidden by law because it can hurt your body, mind, and spirit.

WRONG TOUCHING by any BAD GUY should be reported to the police right away, so it won't happen to you again, or tell an adult friend if INCEST is happening at your home.

Always stay on guard to avoid any WRONG TOUCHING by any BAD GUYS. But, if it happens to you...

REPORT IT AT ONCE!

And always be a GOOD GUY yourself, to
live happily ever after!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.