I went to the art museum today to see an outdoor presentation of the Yellow Submarine. There's a neat display which is over to the left of were I was sitting--a wall, which says something to the effect of Read the writing on the wall Please do what you're told Please do unto others as you would have them do unto you...Please please me. Slightly ironic. There was a kid playing in front of the wall and flood lights casted his shadow upon the wall in a frightening manner. Everyone around me was smiling and happy. It had been raining all day but the grass I sat on was dry. People had brought blankets and picnic baskets and good moods. To me it was surreal.

Before the movie started there was a band playing Beatles songs. Mediocre at best, but they had energy and it was contagious to the audiance. When they played Twist and Shout I don't think I have ever seen such unbridled joy from such a large number of people. Dancing, frolicking, singing freely...I felt a small part of what it must have been like to be at woodstock.

And for awhile there, I really believed that all you need is love...it made such perfect sense.

The euphoria's worn off now, and I spent 2 hours trying to figure out why we can't all be like that all the time...swaying and singing to the music like fools who believe such a simple answer could possibly be worth any merit.

I couldn't come up with anything but the conclusion that people suck.

The chorus singers for this song read like a who's-who of 1960s rock and pop:

In the intro, the trumpets play "La Marseillaise" In the outro, the Bach trumpet duet is from the opening of the "Two Part Invention in F Major"

Two "non-sequitors"--John suddenly says "Yesterday," and Paul follows this up with "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah"--either total nonsense or conscious self-reference (not a surprise if one considers "Glass Onion"). One guy tried to tell me that what is yelled is "Yes he's dead... We loved you," and the we were the Beatles singing to Paul, Paul being dead and this really being William Campbell. Yeah, whatever.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.