After the successful alchemy of converting peanut brittle to the much more delicious Pecan brittle - I decided to go further. I experimented with walnuts and almonds, and finally hit on an extraordinary transmutation. The walnut stuff was okay, but the almonds changed the texture and taste of the basic brittle matrix more than I would have thought possible.

Ingredients

Preparation

Rub a thin coat of butter or shortening on a flat cookie sheet. Mix all the ingredients except the baking soda in a saucepan over medium to medium-high heat. Stir constantly with a wooden or metal spoon.

After the mixture reaches the correct temperature, it will begin to turn golden-brown. There will probably be an acrid smell somewhat like burning sugar justwhen it hits that temperature.

Take the mixture quickly off the heat and stir in the baking soda until barely blended. Quickly pour out the goo over the cookie sheet. (Don't try to spread it or tilt the cookie sheet, just pour it where you want it to go.)

Wait until the foam is completely cool, then break it into small bite-sized pieces and serve. Although the recipe is a near-clone of peanut brittle and Pecan brittle, each is distinctive and very different. The almond foam has a lighter airier texture, a crunchier consistency, and an interesting twist on the basic almond flavor that becomes more compelling with each bite. I have not tried this with whole or chopped almonds... but I want to!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.