Alwaleed Bin Talal is a prominent member of the royal family of Saudi Arabia and happens to be the sixth richest man in the world. He is the largest Arab investor in the United States. Bin Talal is a very controversial figure, as he is not afraid to speak his mind about issues involving US-Saudi relations and terrorism. This has caused a few of his many donations of money to be refused. Most notably the $10 million he gave to New York after the attacks, but was refused by mayor Giuliani after he said,

"At times like this one, we must address some of the issues that led to such a criminal attack. I believe the government of the United States should re-examine its policies in the Middle East and adopt a more balanced stance toward the Palestinian cause."

He is known throughout the world for the money he gives to civil causes. Recently, he has funded the creation of a state of the art hospital, school, and apartment complex (Kingdom Hospital, Kingdom City, and Kingdom Academy respectively). He meets with poor Saudis and, once they plead, he gives them financial aid for a medical operation, new house, etc. He also gives to some not so charitable causes, including the annual Saudi government telethon, which may go towards terrorism, And several Palestinian/Hamas causes.

Alwaleed Bin Talal was born in Riyadh in 1957. Prince Alwaleed is the grandson on his father's side of Saudi Arabia's founder, King AbdulAziz Alsaud, and on his mother's side of the first prime minister of modern Lebanon, Riad El-Solh. He is the nephew of Saudi Arabia's current ruler, King Fahd Bin AbdulAziz Alsaud. In 1979 the prince earned a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration from Menlo College in California, and a master's degree in social science from Syracuse University in New York in 1985.

The princes initial investment portfolio consisted of construction and real estate. His investments grow exponentially. He is credited with bringing the internet and computer technology into Saudi Arabia. His current portfolio is worth about $16 billion dollars and includes holdings of Citigroup, News Corp., AOL Time Warner, Motorola, Four Seasons Hotel, Apple, Kodak, Euro Disney, and Planet Hollywood.

Sources: 60 Minutes interview, George Nader biography

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.