The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America was ratified January 16, 1919. It was repealed by the twenty-first article of amendment.

Section 1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

Section 2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Section 3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

See also: Amendment I, Amendment II, Amendment III, Amendment IV, Amendment V, Amendment VI, Amendment VII, Amendment VIII, Amendment IX, Amendment X, Amendment XI, Amendment XII, Amendment XIII, Amendment XIV, Amendment XV, Amendment XVI, Amendment XVII, Amendment XIX, Amendment XX, Amendment XXI, Amendment XXII, Amendment XXIII, Amendment XXIV, Amendment XXV, Amendment XXVI, Amendment XXVII
Prohibition. A dark day in the history of freedom in America.

When the government decided to outlaw all alcohol as a beverage in the country. It was understood by many only to mean strong liquor, things with 40% or more alcohol, allowing beer and wine to be consumed. But an ultra-conservative managed to get a bill passed which made it apply to anything with even one-half of one percent.

The only amendment to be repealed.

While it was repealed by the Twenty-First Amendment ( Amendment XXI) much of Prohibition's legacy remains today. Entire states remained 'dry' until the 70's, and many counties in rural areas still are. (More than half the counties in Arkansas are 'dry' as of 2001.) But even more than that, some drugs that were prohibited alongside alcohol were never relegalized - most notably, Cocaine and Marijuana - and so prohibition remains with us in the form of the war on drugs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.