You have probably seen many American Creme and White horses. Emperor Hiro Hito's horse was an American Creme and White, as was the Lone Ranger's horse, Silver. So was the horse Thunderhead in the movie of that name. Gene Autry, Minnie Pearl, and Tex Cooper have all participated in shows with performing Creme and White troupes. The American Creme and White regularly performs in circuses, horse shows, and parades. The breed has been favored by movie stars and politicians since the 1920s for its pure white hair and pink skin.

The breed name "American Creme and White" is a bit of a misnomer, though. The American Creme and American White are actually two separate breeds, although their histories are closely intertwined and it is rare to mention one without the other. The American White is a pure white breed that originally descended from a horse named Old King, who was owned by William Newell of Illinois. Old King was a perfectly white horse with pink skin and dark eyes. He was also highly talented in parading and was friendly and gentle. He was born in 1908 from Arabian and Morgan stock, and weighed about 1200 pounds and stood slightly over 15 hands. In 1917, Old King was sold to Caleb and Hudson Thompson of West Point, Nebraska, who intended to create a new breed with Old King's characteristic white hair and amazing trainability.

Old King died of illness in 1922, but by that time he had sired many foals which were being used to breed a race of pure white horses with pink skin. When Caleb Thompson married Ruth Hackenburg in 1936, they established the White Horse Ranch just outside of Naper, Nebraska and worked to develop the breed they named the American Albino. They eventually established a herd of around 150 horses which they formed into a riding troupe. This troupe performed all around the country, eventually growing to include such events as high jumping, broad jumping, dressage, bareback riding, and team hurdle jumping. The horses, most of whom were direct descendants of Old King, were known for their gentleness and brilliant color as well as their spectacular tricks.

The official American Albino Horse Club (AAHC) was formed in 1937 by the Thompsons. They soon opened registration to all white horses with pink skin, regardless of bloodline. This makes the American Creme and White a color breed rather than a pure breed. After Caleb Thompson's death, Ruth Thompson maintained the title "American Albino Association" for the breed registry. In 1980 the American Creme Horse registry was formed for horses that had been originally described in the Albino registry as "off-colored". In 1985, the American Albino Association's name was changed to the International American Albino Association, at which time the breed name was officially changed to American Creme and White. In more recent history, many American Creme and Whites have competed and excelled in English and Western shows, parades, endurance competitions, driving, farming, riding, jumping, dressage, circus routines, and gymkhana. They also make wonderful horses to be used in youth camp and handicapped riding programs.

Appearance

The American White is not a true albino; nor is the American Creme. As such the horses do not necessarily have pink eyes. They are also spared the common problems of albino animals: insanity, blindness, and deafness. The American White has pure white hair, occasionally with a few off-colored patches, a white mane and tail, and pink skin. The hair of the American Creme ranges from ivory to cinnamon, and its mane and tail may be anywhere from pure white to brown. The eyes of both breeds are generally dark, although the American Creme is slightly more likely to have blue eyes. The pale color is carried by a different gene in the Creme than in the White. When two Creme horses are mated, their offspring are always Creme. When a Creme horse is mated with a horse of a different color, the result is always foals that are halfway between the colors of the two parents. On the other hand, when two White horses are mated 75% percent of the foals are white, and when a White is mated with a different color half of the foals are white and the rest are varied in color.

As an American Creme and White can be of any breed from draught horse to pony, there are no real standards for size, gait or features. The average American White and Creme weighs around 1200 pounds and stands 14 hands, although there are horses registered as White and Cremes which are very small or very large. It is interesting to note, though, that the average horse of this breed has decreased substantially in size since the days of Old King and the AAHC.

sources:

Central Pets American Creme and White Page - http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpages/mammals/horses/HRS3551.shtml
Oklahoma State University - http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/americancremeandwhite/
American Creme and White Horse Rescue - http://www.giveusahome.co.uk/allpets/horses/americancreme.htm
White Horse Ranch - http://www.whitehorseranchnebraska.com/registry.htm
Cowboy Frank's American Albino Page - http://cowboyfrank.net/fortvalley/breeds/AmericanAlbino.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.