Also known by their acronym AHA, this group formed in 1877 to work for the humane treatment of children and animals. They are best known for the work of their TV and Film Unit, who are responsible for the oft-mocked end credit in movies (wording varies):
The American Humane Association was on set to monitor the animal action.
No animals were harmed in the making of this film.
That disclaimer grew from public outrage over the death of a horse which died after being run off a 70 foot (21 meter) cliff during the filming of Jesse James in 1939. The film starred Henry Fonda and Tyrone Power.

Through an affiliation with both the Screen Actors Guild and The Alliance of Motion Pictures and Television Producers, the AHA has sole authority over the treatment of animal actors in American Movies. The group began an international expansion in 2000.

A long list of treatment guidelines is available as a PDF from the AHA's website <http://www.AHAfilm.org/>. The organization's basic guidelines are:
  • No animal will be killed or injured for the sake of a film production. 
  • If an animal must be treated inhumanely to perform, then that animal should not be used. 
  • Animals are NOT props! If an animal is used off camera as background or to attract the attention of an animal being filmed, the same humane guidelines must apply to that animal. 
  • "Animal" means all sentient creatures including birds, fish, reptiles and insects
The operating mission of the AHA follows:
Founded in 1877, the American Humane Association (AHA) is the nation’s only national organization dedicated to child and animal protection. From its headquarters outside Denver, Colorado, and from regional offices in Washington, DC, and Los Angeles, AHA provides national leadership in the development of programs, policies, and services on behalf of children and animals who are abused and neglected.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.