Often abbreviated in the Chinese community as just ABC. Like many immigrants, ABCs are often lost in a cultural gap, especially if they are first generation. You try to find a way to fit into both the Chinese culture and American culture, but yet you are never able to. As a Chinese, you are expected to live up to more Confucian ideals, the view that education will promise you a good job in life, that you will be obediant and respect authority without much question. Yet, as an American it seems to be much more free-spirited and you end up stuck in this rut of how to work with these different cultures. You want to have more freedom, but you don't want to disappoint your parents who will literally pour money into SAT prep, and drill you to the ground with work in the hopes that you will make them proud.

However, that is not the only issue. You can't relate to Chinese immigrants very well, and they often tend to only talk to those similar to them (i.e. also immigrants). They look at you as American not Chinese...yet you can never be quite American. Amy Tan is a ABC, would you look at her as American at first glance? There lies the problem in many parts of the nation. Too American to be Chinese, too Chinese to be American. It's a problem that will probably be around for a while.


On a lighter note, if you see a group of Asians eating and only one has a glass of water, it's likely they're born in America. Most Asians drink soup instead, and don't understand why we want water or soda.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.