Released in 1992, the Amiga 4000 was the replacement for the Amiga 3000. In a move almost as bad as trying to replace the Amiga 500 with the Amiga 600, Commodore did this by removing many of the useful features of the 3000. The 4000 shipped with a 68040 processor rather than the 3000's 68030 and had the new AGA chipset (as used in the Amiga 1200 released later that year), although a system with a 68030 processor was also released later on. Other than that, the SCSI interface had been replaced with IDE, the flicker fixer had gone and the case was much uglier.

It is alleged that Commodore had developed a machine based on the 3000 which used the AGA chipset and a 68040 but which retained the other features of the 3000 called the 3000+, but that this project was killed after a new technical director took over. The claimed reason? The new director (who had also worked on the IBM PCjr project some time before) had been working in Commodore's now-defunct PC division. While there, they had developed a case that was never used due to the division's closure. He wanted to use this case. The A3000+ motherboard was nowhere near the right shape. A costly redesign later (with cheaper components in order to balance this to some degree), the Amiga 4000 was born.

A tower version of the 4000 was released. It added on-board SCSI and more Zorro slots and was the last piece of Amiga hardware released before the Commodore collapse.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.