Here’s a great scenario for the future of all of the Americas.

Vicente Fox has just managed to end the 71-year rule of the corrupt PRI in Mexico. It’s sort of like when Republicans began being elected in the South to end the one-party rule that leads, invariably, to corruption. But this could also lead Mexico into the economic revival that country needs so badly.

Here’s a quote Fox used on the stump:

"If I advance, follow me!
If I stop, push me!
If I retreat, kill me!"

I like that spirit! His issues of free market economics, tax reform, downsized government, stock-market ownership, business entrepreneurship, and traditional family virtues sound a lot like, say, George W. Bush, don’t they?

What if this led to a sort of conservative revolution that put Bush in the White House and Stockwell Day in charge of our neighbor to el Norte?

Fox favors closer relations with the US, so that would go a long way to solving some of our problems with Mexico: Illegal immigration and drug traffic. Of course, if he were to help bring about a revival of the economy in Mexico, folks might not be so eager to cross over here to find work.

Stockwell Day is a supply sider who favors a 17% flat tax and a pro-growth agenda to end the consequences of Liberal Canadian premiere Jean Chrétien : High taxes, pork-barrel spending, Canadian dollar devaluation, and those ultra-liberal social policies some of you folks on here are so fond of.

If, in fact, these three become the heads of state in North America, they would provide a better chemistry between the three countries then at any time in history. There is the potential for a North American, free-market-oriented, dollarized-common-market trading zone, who could not only help themselves, but the whole of America, North and South. That would make Hong Kong's eyes light up, wouldn't it?

An American Dream.

We could stop building schools, and only build prisons at public expense.

We could blow up all public hospitals, as Stockwell Day's government in Alberta has begun to do.

We could end the democratic process of informed voters, and politicize them with millions and millions of dollars of partisan media commercials, paid for with their own tax money, as the Ontario tories under Mike harris has done. They said they would reduce taxes and cut spending. They cut spending, alright, and reduced taxes--they borrowed $10 billion to do it, though.

We could rationalize the America's economic system: ship all labor-intensive industry to Mexico where the ex-president of Coca-cola knows a thing or two about business. And we could ship those unnecessary people south who have no place in An American Dream

And if they fail to see the logic and efficiency of that--and that it would benefit George W. Bush's silent backers--the United States of America will always have a strong military, even if it has hungry, and homeless, and sick.

Let's all get ahead. and if you don't have the advantage of connections--too bad.

Yes, this may probably happen. But I don't think the "obstructionists" will go too quietly.


Ralph Klein's government in Alberta, in which Stockwell Day was a minister, did blow up the Calgary General Hospital. Then they said the public sector couldn't handle the number of people who need health care--so they have to pay the private sector with tax money.

And there were days and days of mass demonstrations outside of the provincial legilature. But why listen to the people--in Prague, in Dresden, in Moscow, maybe, but not in Edmonton.

Believe me as you please, DMan.

Asians, or Americans, are all capitalists, DMan? You're not American, so you must mean Asians. No, I think very few people are capitalists, actually.

Ya gotta have a lot more money than any student, or piano teacher, does to get into that club.

Instead of racism, today we speak of the deserving and the undeserving. Even my understanding of the American myth knows it speaks of all--or it did.... Does it anymore?

Who is the dream for?

The state of Texas, under the leadership of Governor George W. Bush, is ranked:

50th in spending for teachers' salaries
49th in spending on the environment
48th in per-capita funding for public health
47th in delivery of social services
42nd in child-support collections
41st in per-capita spending on public education

and ...

5th in percentage of population living in poverty
1st in air and water pollution
1st in percentage of poor working parents without insurance
1st in percentage of children without health insurance
1st in executions (avg. 1 every 2 weeks for Bush's years)

Just think of what he could do for the country if he were president.


thanks, Rachel.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.