Mini-Bio

Andrew Lloyd Webber was born on March 22, 1948. Despite his American heritage (a bit confusing in my sources here, but I believe 3 of his grandparents were American), he was born in London and grew up in South Kensington in Great Britain. He was the son of William Lloyd Webber, who was the director of the London College of Music. His mother was a singer and a violinist.

He dabbled into music a large part of his life - he started to play the violin when he was 3 years old, and composed his first song when he was 6. When he was nine, he had a piece of music published in a magazine.

In 1965, Webber got a letter from Tim Rice, inviting Webber to make music with him. With Rice, Webber wrote his first musical: "The likes of US". They later cooperated on Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

On the 24th July 1972, Webber married 18-year-old Sara Hugill and, with her, moved to Dorset.

Webber has become famous as a great composer, songwriter and director. Less positively, he has also become famous for being a greedy man. On a personal note, the band I was in were supposed to our jazz renderation of "I Don't Know How to Love Him" at a fairly big event (about 2000 people), but were stopped when we got a phone call from MCA Norway stating that they wanted a fee for us performing the song.

Musical Career

Webber's musicals started off adding a fairly prominent rock influence. By doing this, he has been credited (or accused, depends how you look at it) for a reviving of the Musical genre all over the world.

Webber's first really big hit was Jesus Christ Superstar. The album they (Webber and Rice) recorded sold millions of albums all over the world. Later, the musical also became a major success, and is now one of the longest-running musicals in the world. Webber's other long-running musical was Cats, based on Old possum's book of practical cats written by T.S. Eliot

In 1996, Webber won an Oscar for writing best song in Evita, the blockbuster musical-became-opera-starring-former-sex-symbol-current-queen-of-pop-Madonna

Musicals:

Albums:


-30-

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.