"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Englishmen used to go to a place called The Connaught for lunch and eat Lobster Reine Elizabeth for the price of a small car. ...Into the kitchen went the captive Princess Angela"

Giles Coren, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1147-492610,00.html

A protégée of Gordon Ramsay, Angela Hartnett is the head chef at The Connaught, a highly coveted position in the catering world. The Connaught is a five star deluxe hotel in London's Mayfair; the restaurant there famous. When Gordon Ramsay took over and brought in Angela in October 2002 - after over 100 years of male head chefs - there were many grumbles from regular patrons who did not want the restaurant to change. However, the new styles at The Connaught have been very well received, and Angela was awarded a Michelin star in January 2004.

While Gordon Ramsay has been a huge influence on Angela's work and career, she has a clear style of her own, and fortunately for her, this has been noted by restaurant critics and diners at The Connaught. Angela has rapidly established herself as one of the most high-profile women in international catering. Her individual style of cooking is achieved "through combining great Mediterranean cuisine with a modern European influence" in addition to her interpretation of the more traditional favourites. One example from the Guardian:

"it is definitely less Gordon Ramsay and more Angela Hartnett."

http://travel.guardian.co.uk/restaurants/story/0,13739,999434,00.html

Angela Hartnett was also voted 'Best Newcomer' at the Hotel and Restaurant Awards 2003 and has been described by some as the new Elizabeth David. Angela has gained wide experience in the UK and overseas. Her first job was in Barbados at the Sandy Lane Hotel, a luxury Golf and Spa Resort in St James, and since then she has worked with Gordon Ramsay at Aubergine, Pétrus, Amaryllis and Verre in Dubai.

She doesn't spend all of her time at The Connaught though. In November 2004 Angela teamed up with NVQ catering students from Lewisham College, as a visiting chef at their training restaurant The Phoenix Restaurant. Cooking for the College's Annual Governors' Dinner, the chef, her team and the Lewisham student chefs' food was extremely well received. Angela was presented with a Lewisham 'L', one of only 100 gold letters given to people who have made a significant impact on the College.

She also appeared on Gordon Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen shown on ITV1 & ITV2 in May-June 2004.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.