American writer from Marin County, California, who writes and speaks on addiction, writing, faith, and motherhood. Her self-deprecating humor can be laugh out loud funny.

Author of six novels, including Blue Shoes, Crooked Little Heart, Hard Laughter, All New People, Joe Jonesand Rosie. Three major works of nonfiction, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Life and Writing, Travelling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith, and Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year. She appears regularly as "Author in Residence" on Sedge Thomson's West Coast Live radio program, and from 1996 to 1999 was a columnist for Salon.

Sometimes authors write the way the announcers talk on those 50s game shows... did anyone ever really talk with accents like that, or with voices like that?

Well, no one has more of a true voice than Anne Lamott. A recovered alcoholic and addict, this author has enough self-loathing to rival Kurt Cobain. Although her characters never seem to be happy and they are always going through hell, they still lead a life full of warmth and buoyant humor. Her non-fiction points to someone who is so unaffected, so warm-hearted and so world-weary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.