A cool platform game by Delphine Software from 1990 (also released under the name Out Of This World). In approximately one megabyte, it packed amazingly smooth and well-made vector graphics, both in the intro and cut-scenes and the game play itself. Released in IBM PC and Sega MegaDrive (a.k.a. Sega Genesis) versions.

Their game "Flashback", which followed two years after, took the style even further.

A pair of graphic works by M. C. Escher. Another World I is a mezzotint, and, because of the artist's own dissatisfaction with it, is rarely seen. Another World II, a trichromatic woodblock print, is much better known.

Both works feature a bird-man sculpture1 given to Escher by his father-in-law, moonscape with the stereotypical space background: comets, stars, galaxies, and planets. They also portray a single scene from many perspectives (above, below, I: left of, right of; II: facing).

Another World I has an infinite corridor as its focal point; the effect of which is the reason Escher disliked it. It also has what appears to be an oil lamp hanging over the bird-man.

Another World II has, in essence, a very open room instead of a corridor. It has a horn hanging in the window adjacent to the one in which the bird-man stands.

As for the purpose or deeper meaning of these works, Escher left them open to interpretation, as he did with nearly all his works. The closest he ever came to giving a purpose to a work was to urge people to think along multiple paths, as everything looks different from another vantage point.


This writeup is based on the works mentioned found on pages 134-135 in The Magic of M. C. Escher, ISBN 0-8109-6720-0

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.