Anthropol, published in 1968, is a science-fiction novel by Louis Trimble, published as one half of an Ace Double, with the other side being The Time Mercenaries by Philip E. High. Trimble had already been writing mysteries and westerns for decades, including some for Ace, but this was the first science-fiction story he wrote. It is an intermediate-future story with military and espionage format.

Vernay is an operative for the titular Anthropol, an intelligence agency of the Federation. There is another intelligence agency, called Gal-Mil (Galactic Military), and the two intelligence agencies, with different philosophies, feud and spy on each other. That, however is background, because the plot involves a planet dominated by a feminist-totalitarian government, a lost colony of Hungarian immigrants, who are in a civil war with insurgents, and also the planet is being infiltrated by aliens (with sentient aliens that are averse to humans being a rarity in this universe). Vernay spends his time doing what many spies in Ace Doubles do: skulking around in bars, being double-crossed, and escaping from prisons. Some of these events seem to not move the book along much as far as the plot of themes go, but who doesn't like a scene where someone escapes by stowing away on a logging helicopter?

One thing I mentioned while reviewing past Ace Doubles not in the science-fiction genre is that the stories flowed much more smoothly, because the author could assume the reader knew what the FBI and Texas Rangers were. And this seems to be a problem here: Trimble has introduced disparate elements, with five different factions all in conflict in the story, Trimble seems to have introduced more than he can juggle. Some of the rivalries and conflicts don't seem to make sense without a lot of explaining. When the book takes a final twist at the end, it both wasn't properly introduced to the reader, and happened to quickly. This book certainly tries many things, and while it succeeds at some of them, the combination of action sequences and new concepts sometimes don't fit together.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.