The '//c+ was Apple's last attempt at shipping a new Apple 2-series machine. It was released with a whole lot of optimism... most of which was not warranted.

It uses the same Frogdesign form-factor as it's namesake the Apple //c, with only some minor case modifications, such as a volume slider where the 40/80 column switch used to be (though they kept the Dvorak keyboard switch for some unknown reason), and a standard 3 1/2 inch disk drive versus the older 5 1/4. It also ditched the older external power supply (the brick on a leash).

It holds the title of fastest stock Apple 2 ever produced, with it's little 65c02 huffing along at well over 4mhz, and it's memory expandable to over 2 megabytes.

All that having been said, the //c+ was too little too late. Back in the heady days of 1988, the Apple world was still loving the Apple IIgs, and what consumers really wanted was a slotless GS -- instead, Apple gave them more of the same, old, recycled //e design that had been around for 5 years.

Ed.: The 'correct' spelling should use a double-slash ('Apple //c+') instead of a double-I ('II') -- the node titles uses the 'II' convention so that this node may be more easily accesible by the Average Noder.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.