It's been an eventful few months. In brief, I got accepted to grad school, with funding. This bowls me over, because I applied on a whim, and I applied only for that one school. My old undergrad advisor warned me that getting accepted into a program is no slam-dunk, even if you got recommendation letters from Levi-Strauss, Boas and God Himself.

I'm set to start in a couple of months.

I turned 25 a few months ago. Growing up is weird.

I've been taking on greater and greater responsibilities in the intentional community I live in here in Tampa, which mostly involve knowing a lot about double-entry accounting and consensus-based decision-making.

Flower Girl's come and gone again, too, but she'll be back again in a few months. I almost kissed her the other night, after a fantastic night out in really ritzy surroudings. Although neither of us called it that, it probably was a date. I regret not having done so, and am worrying myself skinny and ragged that I might have given up any chances with her. This means more to me than I am comfortable with. If I'm right, then it's probably going to be a little awkward for the next three years, as she's been accepted into the same grad program as I have been. Either way, we're going to be running into each other a lot.

I'm a lot less worried about the end of the world as we know it, but mostly out of exhaustion than optimism. I've been reading a lot lately about the funny relationship between hope and fear. It's been hitting hard. I'm smoking again, and have told myself that if I don't quit for good the next time I quit, I'll smoke for the rest of my life. I think the decision to smoke has something to do with some weird and twisted impatience with my own mortality.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.