Arcadia was founded on August 5, 1903 with the first mayor being Elias Jackson "Lucky" Baldwin whose former ranch forms most of the city. Arcadia extends at its northern maximum into Little Santa Anita Canyon in the San Gabriel Mountains, and in its south in a small tail that juts into the city of El Monte where the city's service depot is located. It is surrounded by the cities of Sierra Madre, Monrovia, El Monte, and Pasadena. The legendary Santa Anita Park is located in the dead center of the city. However, it lacks much in terms of any places to truly "hang out."

Until around the late 1980s, the city's population was primarily Cacuasian upper-middle class, at that point many immigrants, especially from Taiwan began to move into the neighborhood. This migration led to many of the Whites moving to the neighboring city of Sierra Madre as well as construction of large mansions in a bizzare revival of various architectural styles popping up all over the city. Most people disapprove of this because it is very awkward with the 1950s rancho style.

The city's symbol/mascot, peacocks, came about from their existance in the Los Angeles County Arboretum. A fire broke out in the arboretum during the fire in the 1960s and they were released in order to save them. They remain around the surrounding homes, and can be found sitting in the middle of the road, laws, or even on roofs. They are a sheer annoyance, as many have complained about hearing their shrill cries at 3 a.m., but since they are the city's symbol, city law prohibits their removal.

City of Arcadia

240 West Huntington Drive
Arcadia, CA 91007

Town in the Los Angeles area, specifically in the San Gabriel Valley.

Arcadia was known in the 1940's as a good place to raise rabbits. In fact the whole place, in its natural state, isn't good for much. It's a semi-desert area at the foot of the Sierra Madre mountains, without a lot going for it.

In the 1920's or so, however, a major horse race track, Santa Anita, was located in what would later become Arcadia. Lucky Baldwin. too, was associated with the place, and his estate later became an arboretum. Complete with peacocks. The whole area became, in the late 1940's, a bedroom community for Los Angeles.

Recently, the town has become the alleged site for the TV serial Joan of Arcadia. In this metaphor, the town serves the place of "Ordinary Town." In fact, it is pretty ordinary.

And so a proper site for the extraordinary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.