Everything Prisoner Episode Guide

Episode One: Arrival


Forward to Two: The Chimes of Big Ben
The Prisoner Episode Guide
The Prisoner

(This guide uses the “official” episode order, which does not match the order in which the shows were aired.)

At the start:
The Prisoner is free, and about to resign his post.

During this episode:
Our hero resigns from a British espionage organization. He returns home, followed along the way by a Hearse, to prepare for a vacation, but is gassed through the keyhole by the driver of the Hearse. He wakes up in what appears to be his home, but it does not appear to be London outside the window...

After initial disorientation, the new Prisoner discovers that he is being kept in a place called The Village, the population of which tending to be benign in an idiotic way. Various things unsettle The Prisoner, such as the fact that the local shop only sells maps of The Village, and that they list no means of exit.

Upon returning to the twin of his apartment, outside of which there is a sign marked “6 Private”, he gets a phone call inviting him to a place called the Green Dome to meet someone called “Number Two”. Number Two offers breakfast, served by a diminutive Butler, and seems cordial, yet there is a hidden menace in his words, more in what he says than how he says them. At the meeting, he learns he is to be kept in order to discover the reasons for his resignation. He is not told whether he and The Village is on "our side" or "their side," and when The Prisoner proves defiant, Number Two offers to give him a helicopter tour of the Village to prove that escape is impossible. Upon returning from the helicopter landing pad, the Prisoner gets his first glimpse of Rover, the hellish guardian of The Village, a huge bouncing white ball which suffocates a rebel while the rest of the Village stands frozen around him.

The Prisoner is taken into the underground network of tunnels for debriefing, during which he is uncooperative, storming out of the room in fury. Number Two’s offhand remark to the debriefing official, handing him a file: “Never mind, you can get all that you need from this... I think we have a challenge.”

The Village attempts to learn information through a treacherous maid, who tries to pry loose info with tears. The Prisoner attempts to escape twice, the first time by running (he is caught by Rover and wakes up in the hospital). It is while convalescing that he meets Cobb, a familiar face from the world outside, who seems to be undergoing some form of therapy. Shortly after, it is reported that Cobb jumped from a window to his death.

After Cobb’s death, an angry Prisoner storms the Green Dome and demands to see Number Two. The previous resident is gone, and in his place is a new, less lenient Number Two. Prisoner’s demands to see Number One are met with “As far as you’re concerned, I am in charge.” Here it is revealed that everyone in the Village has a number, and The Prisoner’s is Six. The Prisoner storms out again, to heckling from the new Two. The Prisoner attempts to escape again, using information and a piece of equipment, a wristwatch-like device called an “electropass,” supplied by a woman at Cobb’s funeral. There is a close call with Rover, but The Prisoner manages to board an empty helicopter. It looks as if he is about to get away, but then in the control room under the Green Dome buttons are pressed and levers pulled, and the helicopter, operating on its own accord, returns to the landing pad, where Rover is waiting to herd Six away. Inside the control room, Two talks with Cobb, who we learn is returning to the outside world under new masters. Cobb’s final words to Number Two before he leaves: “You’ll find him a tough nut to crack. Auf Wiedersehen.”

At the end:
The Prisoner is, well, a prisoner of The Village, and carries the number Six. Both of his escape attempts have been foiled, and he has been betrayed by his friend and fellow agent Cobb.

It is revealed:
The date and time of The Prisoner’s birth are 4.31 a.m., March 19th, 1928.
The Village system of currency is “credit units.” When Village money changes hands during the series denomination is usually not specified. This may be the only episode where the words “credit units” are used.
Village institutions include (some of these are only referred to on the map the Prisoner peruses): a council, supposedly democratically elected, a restaurant, a newspaper, amateur theatre, a hospital, a graveyard, a local phone service, a taxi service offering rides by “Mini Mokes,” an old people’s home, an arts and crafts hall, a lighthouse, a “palace of fun,” a shop and some general stores, a citizen’s advice bureau and a labour exchange.
Village radios are remarkably resistant, continuing to play even after being smashed to bits. When a device needs repair, Some Village laborers bear an uncanny resemblance to each other. (Perhaps they are clones?)
Village helicopters are able to be controlled remotely. Later it is demonstrated that Village vehicles share the same trait.
Number One is mentioned once. His identity is one of the primary mysteries of the series.

Abridged cast information:
Number Six: Patrick McGoohan
The Woman: Virginia Maskell
(the first) Number Two: Guy Doleman
Cobb: Paul Eddington
(the new) Number Two: George Baker
The Butler: Angelo Muscat
The Supervisor: Peter Swanwick

Quotes:
Number Two: ”I think we have a challenge.”

New Number Two: ”Six of one, half a dozen of another!”

Cobb: ”You’ll find him a tough nut to crack.”

Sources:
The Prisoner by Alain Carrazé and Hèléne Oswald, published in 1995 by Barnes and Noble Books
The Prisoner by Dave Rogers, published in 1993 by Barnes and Noble Books
The Official Prisoner Companion by Matthew White and Jaffer Ali, published in 1988 by Warner Books

Marathon - Level 0


Arrival (Terminal 1)


Airlock 34-a Terminal Access <Port 19.1.2.128>
<Message to All Marathon Terminals> Marathon Emergency Systems Broadcast Today at 0820 hours, the Marathon came under surprise attack from unknown hostile forces. The Marathon has sustained serious damage. At 0830 hours, alien forces boarded the Marathon. The current situation is dire. All personnel are required to arm themselves and fight for their lives. <Posted 2794.7.3.14.08.39> ***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM LEELA*** Welcome to the Marathon. I am Leela, one of the two surviving Artificial Intelligences aboard the Marathon. I have been severely damaged, and am working to understand the current situation. Find the teleport terminal located in the Hangar's control room. By that time, I should have a better idea of what is going on. ***END MESSAGE*** This is where you are now. From here you can explore the rest of the Hangar area, although not all of the doors on the level are functioning. There is a pattern buffer at this location. There is a jump pad at this location. Activate the terminal to leave the Hangar area.


Arrival (Terminal 2)


Hangar Area-5 Engineering Access 50-h<291.7.577.456>
<Unauthorized access-alarm 2521-> <Security Breached 50-h<291.7.577.456>-> *00010104A80600A2F0C4EBA182E4A80584F2E00BC876700FF46202EFE4*3A EFE4A2F0C2F074EBA1DC672FFB280504F6700079d4202EFE4E6000079*E700 12D40FE52722AB2866610202EFE5253AEFE52101B4880 ^^Fire and @3DC39 aspects of the theory are as follows: each society has some controlling force or forces which decide its direction, but the relationships in society are arbitrary- humanity can relate to money, machines, neighbors, anything really; %6582@1 <logical reset @67FC229> individual character and personality are preserved in stories, movies, Rom-personalities, etc; although individual expression is a universal ability, individual freedom is constrained by the society.(see attached figure)^^ *584F2E00206DFDCA7008C030780066C6202EFE4A53AEFE4A2F0C2F074E *BA1E$U2$uA72FFB280504F6690600007F67025B086660E101B488048C02C00 <logical reset @67FC231> <Spurious Interrupt- Breach Disabled> <Further Access Denied> <Breach Location Undetermined>


Arrival (Terminal 3)


Hangar Area-5 Engineering Access 49-h<294.2.577.456>
<Unauthorized access-alarm 2521-> <Security Breached 49-h<294.2.577.456>-> 18RF(kgf42# f#h %34(*,96693 349973@) fkeoocp) *0001101011101110111000111101110101110110101011 *1001100001110100101001001001001000010100101111 *1001000101011110100101010101000001001000101110 00000378003E000007FE0032000011AE00080001AF420000 06726F636B657421000000000000000006726F636B657421 0000000000000000 <Spurious Interrupt- Breach Disabled> <Further Access Denied> <Alert> Security Breach at <294.2.577.456>


Arrival (Terminal 4)


Hangar Area 5 Teleporter Pad Terminal<93.53.211.53>
***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM LEELA*** All of the information that I have gathered so far indicates that the Alien invasion of the Marathon has been relatively uncoordinated. I suspect that this is partially due to the Marathon's large size. However disorderly the Alien invasion is, their assault of the Computer Net has been extremely effective. I detect security breaches in almost every computer system onboard the Marathon; I have learned that there is an Alien creature that is capable of interfacing with our systems. You must kill any of these creatures that you find. It is a priority that we stop them. Even now, they are penetrating my defenses. Teleport now. ***End Message*** ***JUMP PAD ACTIVATION INITIATION START*** ***TRANSPORT WHEN READY***

Sour Grapes (1921)
by
William Carlos Williams

Arrival

And yet one arrives somehow,
finds himself loosening the hooks of
her dress
in a strange bedroom--
feels the autumn
dropping its silk and linen leaves
about her ankles.
The tawdry veined body emerges
twisted upon itself
like a winter wind . . . !

Sources:

Public domain text taken from The Poets’ Corner:
http://www.theotherpages.org/poems/wcw-sg3.html#37

Ar*riv"al (#), n. [From Arrive.]

1.

The act of arriving, or coming; the act of reaching a place from a distance, whether by water (as in its original sense) or by land.

Our watchmen from the towers, with longing eyes, Expect his swift arrival. Dryden.

2.

The attainment or reaching of any object, by effort, or in natural course; as, our arrival at this conclusion was wholly unexpected.

3.

The person or thing arriving or which has arrived; as, news brought by the last arrival.

Another arrival still more important was speedily announced. Macaulay.

4.

An approach.

[Obs.]

The house has a corner arrival. H. Walpole.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.