"I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle."

In Douglas Adams' The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, Arthur Dent is an Englishman who woke up one morning, hung over, to discover that his house was to be demolished that morning to make way for a bypass. By lunchtime he discovers that not only that his whole planet is to be demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass, but that his friend Ford Prefect is from Betelgeuse and not Guildford.

Throughout all five books, Arthur continues to be a fish out of water, a stranger in all sorts of strange lands. The bathrobe and pajamas which are all he has to wear are rather symbolic of his unpreparedness for a universe of two-headed men stealing the woman he wants to date and animals which ask him to eat them for dinner.

Arthur's middle name is "Philip" -- only time this is mentioned in all five books is when Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged visits him on prehistoric Earth, as Wowbagger, one of the universe's few truly immortal beings, decides to personally insult every living being (sentient or not) in the universe, individually and in alphabetical order, simply to pass the time. Adams gives the impression that immortality is profoundly boring (at least in the Hitchhiker's universe) after he'd cleaned up on all of his long-term investments and watched generations of friends and societies die.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.