Once upon a time, in a valley made out of silicon there was a company that decided it needed a programmer. This company got three applications: a trained seal, a jester, and a guy who liked oysters (they didn't offer enough in the way of stock options). This company had an ancient code spec that dated back to the east block nations - thats right, they used Hungarian notation.

Now, for those who aren't familiar with the atrocity known as Hungarian notation - this involves very strict naming for variables and functions within a program that identify exactly what it is. The best comparison for this is thinking of how difficult it is to talk in Latin - with all the declensions and such.

The oyster guy laughed at the interviewer and went off mumbling about Lingua::Romana::Perligata.

Next into the interview was the trained seal. This surprised the interviewer quite a bit - he had heard about web monkeys, but never about web seals. And so he gave the seal some sample code to prove its stuff. Unfortunately, while the seal did write functioning code, it wasn't up to the specs for the company.

foofunc(int foo)
  {
    printf("foo! %d\n",foo);
}

Lastly, the jester entered the interview. The interviewer was a bit taken back by the hat - it looked like this guy walked in from a ren-faire. However, he had already given an interview to a trained seal - why not a jester?

Well, the jester was cracking jokes all through the interview, but when it came to the code, it was spotless! Superb! Perfect in every respect!

void VprintBool(char fbIt) {
    printf("%s",(fbIt?"true":"false"));
    return void;
}

The interviewer made his decision - the jester got the job as programmer. After all, as any seal can plainly foo... and as any fool can plainly C.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.