Astral projection is a technique for voluntarily inducing an out-of-body experience (OBE).

Stones and crystals with a natural resonance or ones meant to enhance psychism or that work on the spirit planes or astral planes often aid and enhance this exercise. Bismuth and fluorine are relatively good for this--bismuth is the far far better of the two. Hematite for calming or quartz crystal, which is just stock in almost any 'new-age' technique may also help.

Do *not* expect to get this right on the first try. I'm sure it won't work. It is a strange sensation physically, and something nearly mentally incomprehensible to your body. don't give up, if you want to do this. Keep trying! anyone has the ability to project it just takes self-control and training.

Find a good place and time. Lie on your bed, a couch, or the floor. Be wearing *comfortable* clothes. Make sure you will *not* be disturbed or interrupted. Burning incense might help. do *not* burn candles, as you will not be conscious to notice if things catch on fire. If you do burn incense make sure it is burning *properly* just smoldering not flaming or there could be a fire hazard. Once you have mastered the technique stop burning things as it is really unnecessary and a bit dangerous. Turn out the lights. The dark is your friend. i promise. You may also want to play a new-age type tape, one for meditation or somesuch, as the soothing sounds often help people relax and focus.

With your area prepared,lie down. Flat. On your back. You may rest your hands alongside you parallel to your body on the floor, or you may fold them across your stomach, Obi-wan Kenobi style. (Just rest one hand on your stomach, below your ribs, and the other on top of the first). If you are using bismuth or another projection aid, hold it (loose, or in a pouch), between your first hand and your stomach, again placing the second hand on top of the first.

breathe. relax.

I'm serious about that. That is probably the most important thing in here. First you have to attune and calm down from your stresses. It will probably help you (especially if you are naturally fidgety) to visualize yourself turning to stone, muscle by muscle, from your toes upwards to the crown of the head. Now focus on your breathing patterns. Breathe in a three-count, hold for a three-count, breathe out for a three-count (some people use their heartbeat to regulate the count). Keep doing this until you are totally calm. It is quite possible this is far as you will get, the first time you try to project. don't' worry this is totally normal.

That was preparation. Now for the actual astral projection itself. if you are using bismuth (you're a fool not to...) or some other stone, this is when and where you use it. Focus your thoughts *into* the stone. focus your soul/will/essence/spirit/whatever you choose to call it, *into* the stone. You will gradually feel a resonance building, from your stomach where the stone is, throughout your entire body, in waves. This resonance will eventually basically jar your spirit loose from your body. There is no simpler explanation nor one that makes more sense.

Once you are free you may wander around just exploring. If you have a definite focus--a person or a thing or a place you have *actual ties* to, you can basically *will* yourself to that place. It is almost impossible to just say 'oh look i've projected i'm going to go visit the leaning tower of pisa" if you've never traveled there. If you have emotional memories of same tower, say your first kiss with the love of your life took place there, its quite possible for you to project to there.

Do not stay "out" too long. Your body, not used to being soulless will eventually *force* you back in. The resonance will cause strange muscle contractions, you will first feel it tingling then muscle spasms as it tries to clear the foreign resonance. Eventually your body's "resonance" in its physical movements will break the soul's resonance and you will wake up back in your body. The more you project the longer you can stay out.

it is this counter-resonance that will be your enemy as you try to master projection. The first time, two times, five times, ten times, whatever, you will probably not get further than the feeling of strange pulses of energy shooting through your body, combined with weird muscle spasms as your body tries to keep your soul there. You will probably reach the point, not of pain but of being so *distracted* you can no longer keep your focus enough to project. Give up. Wake up. Try again later. If you are feeling that, if you get that far you are on the right track. Try again in a couple days. keep trying. It will happen.

(Note. These instructions are general. Everyone must find the technique that works best for them, as in any 'technique' or 'ritual'. This is not written in stone. adapt it. Make it work for *you*. Good luck)

The first and foremost rule is: You cannot force this to happen.
Period. If you try to make it happen, you will fail. If you want, it can be compared to Flying in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you can only stay aloft if you don’t think about it, otherwise you’ll start thinking this can’t be happening, and then it’s over. What this basicly boils down to is that while you use the techniques you cannot think about doing the action, but rather you must simply act. This makes little sense when first read, I know. You have to simply allow things to happen as you know they are to happen. It requires the proper mindset for this to happen, an outlook where you know what is going to happen and what is happening. It is Zen in practice.

The second rule is this: Everybody has their own method. There is most certainly no set method.
Experimentation is very key and you more likely than not will have to adapt any technique to suit yourself no matter what. The techniques and hints are guides, but following them step by step will not work, you must allow things to happen. Very Zen and Tao

None of my techniques use crystals or incense, never have found it necessary. Just pointing out.

Vibrations are the feeling you will get before you are able to leave. It cannot be described as anything else, but it will be like your whole body will be vibrating but actually none of it is moving. I personally experience a feeling like a second heart beating in the center of my chest that beats very rapidly along with a tingly light feeling all throughout myself.

The Hardest part of Astral Projection/Out of Body Experience(OBE) is the exiting stage. I still do after 3+ years encounter difficultly. Sometimes it just won’t happen, don’t be discouraged, try again later. Because of this and the fact relaxation is easy (breathing techniques, whatever) I will just outline some techs.

Exit Techniques
The Rope Tech:
For this technique you must get yourself comfortable and relaxed whatever way works for you. After the vibrations have started visualize a rope or cord extending from a point in the air or the ceiling. Visualize reaching upwards and clasping this rope with your hands, and then starting pulling yourself out of your body. Continue to do so till you are out.
Spin and Fall:
A more advanced, or at least trickier tech. For this you need to rotate yourself till you are facing downwards (if you are laying on your stomach no need) and simply allowing yourself to fall through the bed/chair/etc. This however can be unnerving if you do not have much experience, as passing through “solid” objects can seem a bit odd.
It Already Is:
For this technique (also a way of moving yourself) you simply know to yourself that things are already that way. You do not try to force yourself out of your body, but rather you are already lifting out of your body, you want it to be like that and it is that way. The language used for this is obviously vague and possibly unhelpful, but the point is to not focus on leaving but the fact that you are already rising.
Gust of Wind:
I have only used this a few times, and I found it accidentally. Essentially you lay on your side and visualize yourself being blown out of your body like a leaf in the wind or whatnot, and in doing so you will suddenly be outside without any time in which you can mess yourself up by thinking.
Lastly on Techniques, remember they are just guidelines and not formulae. Whatever works, works. Do that.

Once you are Out:
Once you are out, you move about by Will. You can travel at any speed you so desire: from walking speed to speed of thought, and can fly, pass through walls, whatever. Simply think yourself forward, or you can try a similar technique of telling yourself it is mighty nice over by the door and simply floating over there because it is so hip and the place to be.
The Astral part of this can be if you choose to travel to other planes of existence. I do this by finding a door, and instead of going through it, simply see it as a gateway to another plane. If and when you choose to do this, don’t try to force yourself to anyone, but just go with wherever you happen to end up. You can pick and choose once you get advanced. Be wary through of falling for the Alice in Wonderland effect as one author (whose name eludes me at the moment) calls it, where you may be traveling around say your house and suddenly are in a room you know isn’t there. In that case you have left the physical plane and more likely are in a dream plane or personal plane of being connected to others. If this happens you can either just explore or return.
To return, simply move part of your physical body. This can and will be difficult. Just remember though if things start getting freaky move your arm or finger and you will instantly be incorporated.

Other Hints:
-Occasionally you will feel a part of your astral body that is stuck; it just does not seem to want to free itself from the physical. I find visualizing energy that soothes the area and causing it to relax will free you.
-It depends on who you ask, but it seems that laying on a north to south axis aids in leaving. I have no reason for this, but I have encountered it in my own experience and I have seen it documented in literature on the subject.
-I have found that you MUST be warm for this to work. This relates to being comfortable, but you cannot lie in your bed and do this if your feet are cold. I am telling you it won’t work.
-No hand positions are necessary, just make yourself comfortable. I have done this curled up in one of those weird positions you get when trying to get comfortable. Being comfortable is the most important.
-More likely than not you will fall asleep on occasion, particularly the first few times. Don’t worry about it, it happens to everyone, plus you get some of the most restful sleep you can this way.

On a final note: Do or do not, there is no try You cannot think about it, simply act.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.