Yet another product of second grade humor. We would tell someone to look down their shirt, and then to spell "attic". Try it.

While there were no funny variations that we came up with on this one, my friend got in trouble for using that one on his mom.

At"tic (#), a. [L. Atticus, Gr. .]

Of or pertaining to Attica, in Greece, or to Athens, its principal city; marked by such qualities as were characteristic of the Athenians; classical; refined.

Attic base Arch., a peculiar form of molded base for a column or pilaster, described by Vitruvius, applied under the Roman Empire to the Ionic and Corinthian and "Roman Doric" orders, and imitated by the architects of the Renaissance. -- Attic faith, inviolable faith. -- Attic purity, special purity of language. -- Attic salt, Attic wit, a poignant, delicate wit, peculiar to the Athenians. -- Attic story. See Attic, n. -- Attic style, a style pure and elegant.

 

© Webster 1913.


At"tic, n. [In sense (a) from F. attique, orig. meaning Attic. See Attic, a.]

1. Arch. (a)

A low story above the main order or orders of a facade, in the classical styles; -- a term introduced in the 17th century. Hence:

(b)

A room or rooms behind that part of the exterior; all the rooms immediately below the roof.

2.

An Athenian; an Athenian author.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.