Autumn In Ganymede is a lovely song written by Yoko Kanno, from the animated series Cowboy Bebop. It was released on the third Bebop OST volume, "Blue".

It's a jazzy bossa nova tune, mostly led by horns, but with bass keeping the beat, piano and guitar swerving in and out of focus, and some strange, erratic percussion.

However, as much as I love the music, I am equally enticed by a number of vocal samples in the background of the song. They seem to all be from old movies, mostly science fiction/horror b-movies. In their original context, it seems they must have been the height of camp, but in the seperate context of the song, and in the neo-noir sci-fi atmosphere of Cowboy Bebop, they take on new life, and to me seem to absorb the inherent laid-back cool of the music and the series.

I've managed to figure out most of what the samples are saying, and have identified the source of one of them, but can't decipher little bits of it, and have only vague clues to most of the phrases' origins. Here's the list of all of them and where they appear in the song, in the hopes that someone who reads this recognizes something.


1:49

"The dramatizing(traumatizing?) study of a man and a woman; dreams and fantasies take on a life and a power of their own."

2:00

"After I'm gone, your Earth will be free."
A more complete version of this clip is played at 3:18.


2:03

"It's gotta be a (unintelligible)!"


2:05

"If it gets blown up, its cells will regenerate, and multiply, and still be alive!"
This one's definitely from some old sci-fi/horror movie - it's been included in a collection of sound clips for royalty-free licensing or the like.1



2:39

"If this evil force can be stopped and destroyed before actual nuclear war begins, then the universe will be safe."
From the film Evil Brain From Outer Space.2


2:53:

"The dramatizing(traumatizing?) study of a man and a woman; dreams and fantasies take on a life and a power of their own."
Same as the very first sample.


3:00:

(?)
I have no idea what's being said here. It's about ten seconds long, is way in the background of the song, and is clearly speech... but that's all I can tell.


3:18:

"After I'm gone, your Earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites. And that's how it's going to be."
This sample also appears in the song "Lucy" by the band Tiamat.3



1: http://www.digitalofframps.com/songs/ImperviousBrain.html
2: http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/evilbrain.html
3: http://www.geocities.com/tyrannorabbit/horrormetalt.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.