The latest blonde female teen pop tart on the airwaves, this girl's gimmick is her "rebel" image, which leads many of the clueless masses to believe that she is "punk", a bastardization of the once relevant culture that makes me cringe.

This self proclaimed skater punk is originally from Napanee, Ontario, and, as the middle child, has always been a rebel and a tomboy, never passing up the opportunity for expressing her individuality and disregard for what other people might think (oh, please).

She was signed to Arista at age 16, and later hooked up with Nettwerk Management after having written songs for her debut CD "Let go", an album which contains such in your face anthems as "Complicated" and "Anything but Ordinary." Quite frankly, I can't tell her music apart from anything else on Top 40 radio or MTV these days.

One of my best friends, who has encyclopedic knowledge of rock music and an extensive collection of wonderful music, bought her DVD because he thinks Avril is a hot piece of ass.

Punk is Dead.

Vital Stats

Discography

In 2001 Avril signed a record deal with Arista Records and is working with Nettwerk Management, specifically with Clif Magness. She was nominated for Best New Artist at the 2003 Grammy Awards, and had her single "Complicated" nominated as Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. In both cases, she was beaten out by Norah Jones.

Avril Lavigne began singing very young. From fairs, to talent contests, to singing gospel in church. At 12 she wrote her first song and taught herself to play guitar. While she does have the dubious "co-writer" credit on every song on her debut album, she seems to be a marginal songwriter at this stage. She does have a knack for creating music in the current pop genre. You might say, however, that she doesn't yet write music for the ages. She certainly has potential, and has a better chance of stepping out on her own with her next offering.

Avril on therapy:

"When I get upset and really need to get it out of me, I go to my guitar. Sometimes I feel like my guitar is my therapist."

Sources:

  • http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/lavigne_avril/bio.jhtml
  • http://www.avril-lavigne.com/
  • http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p2294.htm
  • http://www.allmusic.com/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.