British Satellite Broadcasting (BSB) was Britain's OFFICIAL satellite broadcaster from March to November 1990. Sky Television were not official until then. Famous for their square dishes, known as squarials & were 45 cm (17.7 in) compared with Sky's 60cm (23.6 in) dishes.

Actually had superior pictures & programming compared with Sky & even healthier advertising, but when Rupert Murdoch's had a 13 month head start on you there's not a lot you can do & since there was really only room for one satellite TV provider, the 2 companies merged to form BSkyB.

BSB had far higher costs tham Sky, largely due to the construction of their own headquarters & their own Satellites. Also, one executive had 3 cars-a chaffeur driven Jaguar, a Vauxhall for going around town in and a Land Rover for going to the country home. When the executive found out about the merger, he ordered the chaffeur to plunge the Jaguar into the River Thames. When a police officer asked why he did it & when he explained it was due to the merger, the police officer said "S@%! I've just bought a BSB receiver!"

Anyway, not much stayed from BSB after the merger, one channel & the initials is about it.

A BSB number can also stand for Bank State Branch number which identifies both the bank and branch of banks in Australia.
It's a six digit number and you need it in addition to your account number when filling out employment forms and to deposit money etc.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.