The act of creating. Build and create are not synonyms -- building takes time, but creation can be instantaneous.

Carpenters build, and so do game designers. The act trancends the medium in which it takes place. It is the duty of all to build, as building in any fashion gives meaning to life.

Busking: The period of the show in which the performer attempts to gather a crowd. The hardest part to learn. My build involves some good music, distincitive headgear, and some entertaining harassment of passersby.

As a verb, build describes the process of turning source code into an executable or library. This involves compile, assembly, and linking stages. This is initiated by the make command.

As a noun, build refers to the final product of the above from a specific source code revision. For example, in "professional" software development firms, there is usually a daily build from which QA and developers work. They are numbered by date or simply given a serial number (as in Windows NT builds, eg. "Build 1381").

BUILD is a 3D engine written by young programmer Ken Silverman. It is best known for powering such well-known games as 3D Realms' Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, and less known for having been licensed to such projects as Exhumed and TekWar.

Although most people don't recognize it, Build first made its appearance as an engine based on id's Wolfenstein game. The game was called Ken's Labyrinth, and was released independently as shareware.

3D Realms noticed the young programmer and hired him to write the engine for what was then to be the sequel to Wolfenstein 3D, but ended up being the game Rise of the Triad.

As a 3D level builder, it is best known for being extremely easy to use, and yet advanced for its time. Most of the actual mapping took place in a visual environment, where you could literally walk around in your level while it was being built. You could walk up to a wall and go, "This wall should have a different texture", point to the wall, hit a few quick keystrokes, and WHAM - the wall changed texture before your very eyes. And yet, you could have moving subway cars, rotating sectors, teleporters, Star Trek doors, a very limited rooms-above-rooms system, and other advanced techniques too.

Build has now been retired, since it was not completely 3D (most 3D elements were accomplished by flattening sprites and having them levitate in the air, creating the illusion of a bridge or catwalk) and most 3D gamers these days aren't too fond of sprite enemies.

Build (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Built (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Building. The regular imp. & p. p. Builded is antiquated.] [OE. bulden, bilden, AS. byldan to build, fr. bold house; cf. Icel. bol farm, abode, Dan. bol small farm, OSw. bol, bole, house, dwelling, fr. root of Icel. ba to dwell; akin to E. be, bower, boor. &root;97.]

1.

To erect or construct, as an edifice or fabric of any kind; to form by uniting materials into a regular structure; to fabricate; to make; to raise.

Nor aught availed him now To have built in heaven high towers. Milton.

2.

To raise or place on a foundation; to form, establish, or produce by using appropriate means.

Who builds his hopes in air of your good looks. Shak.

3.

To increase and strengthen; to increase the power and stability of; to settle, or establish, and preserve; -- frequently with up; as, to build up one's constitution.

I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up. Acts xx. 32.

Syn. -- To erect; construct; raise; found; frame.

 

© Webster 1913.


Build (?), v. i.

1.

To exercise the art, or practice the business, of building.

2.

To rest or depend, as on a foundation; to ground one's self or one's hopes or opinions upon something deemed reliable; to rely; as, to build on the opinions or advice of others.

 

© Webster 1913.


Build, n.

Form or mode of construction; general figure; make; as, the build of a ship.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.