"Baby, Baby" is a 1991 song by Amy Grant, off of her album Heart in Motion. It was her eighth album, and was her first big mainstream album, her previous albums had been Contemporary Christian Music. "Baby, Baby" was the first big single off of the album, designed to appeal to the pop sensibilities of the early 90s, while not alienating her core audience.

As the title suggests, this is a perfectly generic song. "Baby" is perhaps the most generic word in pop music, up there with "hey" and "love", and this word repeats it twice. And the lyrics follow the same course, describing the glee and giddiness that Miss Grant feels with the mutual infatuation between her and her courter. The song is told with a traditional verse and chorus structure, and with chirpy, upbeat lyrics to a chirpy, upbeat pop track.

Apart from the background of the song being Amy Grant's breakout into mainstream pop music, this song is almost featureless. But that doesn't mean it is a bad song: in fact, it is a good song, well structured and with music and lyrics that are soothing and uptempo, the perfect mix for a pop song, especially in 1991. And for me, this song serves as a perfectly transparent lens: purified of all other distinguishing characteristics, this song becomes a perfectly pristine window into the time it came out. For me hearing this song, I can feel exactly what 1991 felt like, I can hear this song coming through a one speaker clock radio from my sister's bedroom. Perhaps to create a time portal into the state of pop music just before the arrival of grunge isn't what Miss Grant planned with this song, but it is still a worthwhile accomplishment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.