This is one of my favorite recipes. I first had this type of shrimp in 1994 at a winery dinner. It was incredible, the shrimp were HUGE and barbecue sauce was smoky and spicy. I have tried to duplicate that multiple times, and the following recipe is the result of that. I like to serve it with red skin mashed potatoes and green beans.

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbs white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tbs chopped fresh dill
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails intact
5 regular lean bacon slices cut crosswise into thirds
Barbecue sauce

  1. In a medium-sized nonreactive bowl mix together the oil, vinegar, mustard, and dill. Season with the salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and chill for several hours, stirring multiple times.
  2. If you don't like chewy bacon, I highly recommend that you pre-cook the bacon for a few minutes. I prefer to use the microwave for this, its fast and easy. Do not cook it through, it should still be flexible enough to wrap around the bacon.
  3. Drain the shrimp. Wrap a piece of bacon around each shrimp and secure it with a toothpick or skewer. Brush on a thin layer of barbecue sauce over the shrimp.
  4. Over a medium-hot grill, grill the shrimp until the bacon is crisp and the shrimp is cooked, about 4 minutes on each side.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.