Name: Bad Street Brawler
Platform: 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Developer: Mattel, Inc.

Release date: August, 1989
Country: U.S. (later to Canada and Australia)
Format: Cartridge
Number of Players: 1
Genre: Sidescrolling Fighter, a la Bad Dudes

This game is absolutely no fun to play. If you want sidescrolling games where you fight stuff, get Bad Dudes*, River City Ransom, or hell, maybe even Basewars. They're all much more fun. There is no real backstory of any kind, aside from telling you your name - Duke Davis. You run around dressed like a wrestler, kicking ass, and picking up knives is a pain, they're hard to reach. Picking up bats, well, you might as well be immortal. It's not very rare as far as collecting is concerned, so don't spend any time trying to pick this up. I wouldn't even bother thinking about this game after you're done reading this writeup.

On the other hand, the game has a semi-wonderful sense of humour. The jokes are quick - like Duke saying, "Hi, Mom!" to a camera in an interview. Some of the situations are quite funny too, like fighting Siegfried (of Siegfried and Roy "fame"), because naturally, in video game-land, Siegfried is a higher-up in the gang of thugs wanting to tear apart Duke's town. Completely subjective score: 1 1/2 out of 5.


(A small note: Bad Street Brawler is #7 on Seanbaby.com's 20 worst Nintendo games of all time.)

* That's right, I said Bad Dudes. That game is a steaming pile of crap too, but at least it's marginally more interesting than Bad Street Brawler, in that it has cool-looking ninjas who drop caltrops everywhere.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.