They say that food is the key to a man's heart. Well, they're right. Bananas Foster though, is the key to a woman’s heart, apartment and maybe her ATM number as well. I made this decadent dish for my roommate and his fiancé recently after serving them a delicious apple stuffing and herb chicken dinner. She proclaimed that I was "a god." So it may have some hallucinogenic properties as well.
  • Over high heat in a large sauce pan melt the butter.
  • When butter is completely melted add brown sugar. Stir constantly until sugar is melted and well integrated.
  • Add bananas to mixture and continue to stir until well heated. Sprinkle cinnamon over bananas. Do not cook bananas too long, they get ucky.
  • CAUTION: This is the dangerous part If you're afraid of fire or you have low ceilings, you may want to skip this part. Remove the pan from the burner. Add rum to the mixture.
  • It's not real important how much rum you add. What little alcohol the fire doesn't burn off will boil away, leaving you with only the pleasing caramelized rum taste. 3 or four glug-glugs from the bottle (or about 1 cup) should do it.
  • Place the pan back on the burner. If you have a gas burner chances are the rum will ignite. If you have an electric burner it probably won't. If the rum doesn't catch use the match to light it. CAREFUL When the rum ignites, it makes a big flame. Don't stand too close. You've been warned.
  • Shake the pan and stir the mixture until the flame goes out. The higher the heat the quicker the alcohol will boil off and the quicker the flame will go out.
  • Serve immediately over 2 to 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream.
  • Reap the rewards of being a culinary genius.
The key to this recipe is the fire. It is easy to prepare and makes you look very suave, as long as you don't let the flame startle you. If you freak out and dump the flaming gooey mess all over the floor and your feet, you kill the suave factor.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.