The M1A1 Bangalore Torpedo, a Class V item was implemented in 1940’s. They were heavily used in World War II and Vietnam to clear barbed wire obstacles, brush and most importantly to clear a path about 3 feet wide through anti-personnel mine fields. They were also used to take out about anything they needed, like bunkers and gun emplacements. This system is not terribly effective when used on modern high tensile strength barbed wire. Each section weighs around thirteen pounds and each Bangalore kit is made up of ten 5-foot extensions that could be connected for the desired length. Each section contains 9 pounds of explosives, usually C-4. Mostly carried by engineer squads, they would connect the required amount of sections and push it through the obstacle. They are portable enough to be used by a single soldier, but are cumbersome and heavy so it is usually quicker with 2. Regular infantry can also carry them. The ignition system consists of an electric or non-electric blasting cap for detonation. Training is done through instruction manuals, video, dry run, and live fire sessions. Currently there are 2900 sets in Continental United States ammunition depots and 28,600 worldwide. If you would like to see these in use, Saving Private Ryan has a good example in the Omaha Beach sequence. Resources: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/bangalore.htm The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.