"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone kept telling me it was impossible to break into the field or make money. I've proven them wrong on both counts."
-Barbara Hambly

American Author. (AD 1951 Aug. 28 - )
Attracted to fantasy from an early age after reading The Wizard of Oz her first published book, The Time of the Dark (1982), was in this genre. She is not just a swords and sorcerers writer though. She has written several pieces of historical fiction, including Search the Seven Hills (retitled The Quirinal Hill Affair in paperback) published 1983, and the ongoing Benjamin January Mysteries.

Personally she is one of my favorite authors. Whether writing fantasy, historical fiction, or even mass-market space opera like the Star War books I like the way she views her characters. One of my criteria for good characterization is being interested in where they are going, in meeting the person, even if they are evil or whatever. So I am desperate to turn each page and find out what happens next. I also find her plots very believable, with few extraneous bits. Though she still puts in more than enough neat details giving an impression of the history of each character. Also enjoyable are the various Easter eggs that I have noticed in the text, pointing to other books and authors. (Like planet Neelgamon in Children of the Jedi.)

The first book of hers that I read was The Silent Tower followed up by The Silicon Mage. Soon afterwards I read what I still think is her finest book, Dragonsbane. I have been a devoted fan ever since. Recently I learned that she also wrote three episodes of one of my favorite childhood cartoons, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.

In no particular order her books:

The Windrose Duology (Officially The Dog Wizard Series now)
The Silent Tower
The Silicon Mage
Sequel
Dog Wizard

The Darwath Trilogy
The Time of the Dark
The Walls of Air
The Armies of Daylight
Sequels
Mother of Winter
Icefalcon's Quest

Sun-Wolf and Starhawk
The Ladies of Mandrigyn
The Witches of Wenshar
The Dark Hand of Magic

Sun-Cross Duology
The Rainbow Abyss
The Magicians of Night

Benjamin January Novels
A Free Man of Color
Fever Season
Graveyard Dust
Sold Down the River
Die Upon A Kiss (Most Recent)

James Asher/Vampire Series
Those Who Hunt The Night (Titled Immortal Blood in the UK)
Traveling With The Dead

The Winterlands Books
Dragonsbane
The Winterlands Sequel Trilogy
Dragonshadow
The Knight of the Demon Queen
Dragonstar

Stand Alone Works
Stranger at the Wedding
Bride of the Rat-God
Search the Seven Hills/The Quirinal Hill Affair
Fading of the Light
Magic Time

Star Wars Books
Children of the Jedi
Planet of Twilight

Star Trek Books
Ishmael
Ghost-Walker
Crossroad

Beauty and the Beast Novels
Beauty and the Beast
Song of Orpheus

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.