A wonderful little British game show, runs 30 minutes, with host David Dickinson.

There are two two-person teams separated into a red team and a white team. Each team is assigned an antique expert. The host gives each team 200 pounds (British money) to buy stuff at an antique fair. They have 1 hour to buy.

Afterwards, they take the items home, making any improvements on them they wish. After a week, the items are sold at auction. The winning team is the one that gets the most money out of the auction.

Like many non-American game show, there are no prizes.

The show is a pleasing combination of Antiques Roadshow (more specifically Antiques Roadshow UK), and one of those supermarket-shopping-style game shows. The host reminds me a bit of the Japanese host of the original Iron Chef show - he has big hair and talks loudly. The Bargain Hunt host makes more sense, however.

The kinds of antiques and the prices of the antiques are different than what you'd expect from watching the US version of Antique Roadshow - notably, there seems to be nothing wrong with refinishing wooden items.

In all the episodes I have watched, only one team managed to break even. All the other teams lose various amounts of money in the auction, usually around 30%. This makes sense, as the dealers that are selling them the items are probably the same kind of people who buy them back at auction. This points out that you can't make money buying crap at antique auctions, unless you do it for a living. Even the so-called "experts" assigned to the teams make bad choices.

I think the correct strategy for this game show is to buy many small, cheap items. Most teams blow around 80% of their money on one item, which invariably does poorly at auction. The key is buying cheap things that people may buy at auction on a whim.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.