On a cool night at the old Atlanta Fulton County Stadium it was, in October of 1992. The air was crisp and sweet that evening, the promise of the National League Championship lingering within reach of both teams. Unlike most of the games leading up to Game Seven, this one was a pitching duel. Both skippers threw up their best, Doug Drabek for the Pirates and John Smoltz for Atlanta.
The game was a nail-biter. Pittsburgh scored single runs in the first and sixth innings while shutting down the Braves' previously explosive bats. By the bottom of the ninth inning, Pittsburgh was preparing for their party, all but convinced they had the title.
In Atlanta, the mood was somber. The Bravos needed at least two runs to continue play, and this against a pitcher who was throwing what could arguably be deemed his best game of the season. But the Atlanta team rallied and drew blood from Drabek, scoring a single run early in the ninth. Excitement captured the town as Atlanta put another runner on. An infield ground ball then moved the runners to second and third with two out. Silence fell over the crowd gathered at the ballpark, over the entire city. Fransisco Cabrerra stepped up to the plate. Skip Carey cautiously remarked that a base hit could win the game for Atlanta. To the fans' horror, Cabrerra fell behind in the count. The Braves were one single pitch away from being sent home. But the pitch that left Reardon's hand next was destined for fame as it was sent through the gap in left and rolled up to Barry Bonds. The runner at third scored easily, tying the game. Sid Bream, the Braves' ailing first baseman, rounded third base and kept going, pounding his injured knee at every step. Bonds came up with a spot-on throw home, which Sid beat by mere inches. The stadium erupted with cheers of delight as Skip Carey chanted, "Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!". The Braves were World Series bound again.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.