Batavia, IL
Population: 22,000

Batavia is located about 35 miles west of Chicago, IL in Kane County. The Fox River runs directly through the town, which is bordered by Geneva on the north and Aurora on the south.

Batavia was originally founded in 1833 by a settler named Christopher Payne. He had travelled to the area and staked a claim named "Head of Big Woods". This name was later changed to Batavia by Judge Issac Wilson after his hometown of Batavia, NY.

The nickname "Windmill City" came from 3 large windmill factories that were located in the area. By 1890, Batavia was recognized around the world as the leading windmill manufacturing city.

Another resource that Batavia was blessed with was its limestone quarry. After the great Chicago fire, Batavia supplied limestone to the city to help with the rebuilding process. Limestone from the quarry was also used extensively in the construction of Northern Illinois University in Dekalb, IL. Before the turn of the century, mining was banned for fear of parts of the town collapsing due to the explosions. The quarry was converted into a swimming park and remains so to this day.

Batavia was also home to the old Bellevue Place, a sanitarium for women ran by Dr. R. J. Patterson. The list of patients included Mary Todd Lincoln after her husband, President Abraham Lincoln, was assasinated.
Another nickname for Batavia, IL is "The City of Energy" because it is the location of the famed Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. It is the location of the Tevatron, the second largest electron accelerator in the world. For more information please visit:
http://www.fnal.gov/

Batavia and her sister cities Geneva, IL and St.Charles, IL are run almost entirely by a given family and all other accepted families are tributaries. The three cities are extremely friendly to new and frequent visitors, not so to new residents.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.