Date: 2nd February, 1461

Time: started - midday

Location: Mortimer's Cross, near Welsh border

Factions: York vs Lancaster

Victor: York

Troops/inventory: York - 11,000 men-at-arms (including 5,000 archers), no artillery
Lancaster - 4,000 - 8,000 men-at-arms (including mercenaries), no artillery

Injuries/fatalities of interest: York: none;
Lancaster:

  • Owen Tudor (captured, beheaded)
  • Sir John Throckmorton (captured, beheaded)

Total slain: 4,000 mostly Lancastrian

Interesting bit: The Battle of Mortimer's Cross could be described as a turning point in the military career of Edward Plantagenet (later King Edward IV). While it is important that a battle commander be skilled and brave in combat, it is also necessary that he command the loyalty of his troops. The morning of the 2nd of February, 1461, saw Edward win the love of his men in an inspired way. At dawn on that day, several men of Edward's army, and Edward himself, witnessed a meteorological phenomenom - 3 rising suns. While some of the men were afraid that this was a bad omen, Edward convinced them that it was indeed a good omen and a sure sign of victory. He assured his followers that the 3 suns were representative of the Holy Trinity, and that they foretold the dawning of a new age for the Yorkists. He took as his favourite badge, the Sunne in Splendour, and lead his troops to victory.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.