1967 Stanley Donen film, written by Peter Cook, starring Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, and Eleanor Bron. Dudley Moore plays a short-order cook named Stanley who has a stunning crush on Margaret (Bron). Stanley is ready to give up on his infatuation and end his own life when who should show up but Satan, Prince of Lies (Cook)? Satan -- George to his friends -- wants to help Stanley out, give him seven wishes (in accordance with the mystic rules of life: Seven Deadly Sins, Seven Days of the week, Seven Seas, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...) in exchange for something barely significant that he'll hardly even miss: his immortal soul.

Stanley, of course, agrees.

His wishes begin with the magic words "Julie Andrews" and, if anything should go wrong, Stanley merely needs to blow a raspberry and everything will be returned to normal. Each of Stanley's wishes is guided more or less by a different personification of sin, and every wish is sabotaged at some point by George. With each subsequent wish, Stanley realizes how bleak his previous life was and slowly learns that the only way to achieve one's desires is through faith in self.

This movie is notable for several reasons. First off, the devil isn't portrayed as a fire-breathing beast -- instead, he's a slick guy in Ray Bans and a tux. He's not really the ultimate personification of evil, either. He's more of a Loki-esque childish prankster who spends his time putting "minor ventilation holes" in oil tankers, making prank calls, and causing parking meters to expire. He's not gathering souls for his own sinister purpose; rather, he has a side bet with God: first to a hundred billion souls wins. Cook is possibly one of cinema's finest Satans.

Raquel Welch as Lust is another great addition to the cast. One of the finest lines in the movie: "Can you hear my pores breathe?" The humor is dry and deadpan, and sometimes the premise wears a little thin, but there are many classic moments in this largely unheard of film.

I first caught this film on Encore one afternoon at probably the best scene in the film, which is Stanley's rock star wish. I had no idea what movie it was, and it became a quest for a while. When I was working at a nameless soulless chain record store, a co-worker and I were talking about trainspotter film buffs and record collectors, and the importance of having a quest, even something so petty as a rare record or obscure late-night film. I brought up Bedazzled and she looked at me with this sort of cosmic connection look in her eyes. I wish I could say that we were happily married, living in the suburbs, and loving our three beautiful children, but I quit and she moved to Portland. Still, though, Bedazzled, for me, respresents one of those rare, wonderful things that only really hip people know about.

There's an American remake out directed by Harold Ramis starring Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley, which I haven't seen and am only mildly excited about. Something tells me a lot has been lost in the translation, and this hasn't emerged as quite the gem the original is. Then again, few remakes do.

Bedazzled also had a song in it that it got its title from. What led up to the song is something like this: On one of Stanley's wishes, the Devil convinces him that he should become a pop star to get Margret's attention. So Stanley sings a long song(LOVE ME!) and the whole crowd, including Margret, loves him! However, good ol' Lucifer is up next, with this timid song, and Stanley's all but forgotten.

This song was written by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, and sung by Peter Cook with female vocals.

Note: Italicized lines are the female vocals.
Oooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, I'm bedazzled!
I don't care.
Oooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, I'm bedazzled!
So you said.

You knock me out!
I don't want you.
You blast me up
I don't need you.

You burn me up!
I don't love you.
You plug me in!
Leave me alone.

You switch me on!
I'm self contained.
You lock me up!
Just go away.
I'm bedazzled, I'm bedazzled, I'm bedazzled!

You glimmer!
I'm fickle.
You glitter!
I'm cold.

You shiver!
I'm shallow.
You drive me wild, you drive me wild!
You fill me with inertia.

You lock me up!
Don't get excited.
You blast me up!
Save your breath.

You burn me up!
Cool it!
You plug me in!
I'm not interested.

You switch me on!
It's too much effort.
You lock me up!
Don't you ever leave?
I'm bedazzled, I'm bedazzled, I'm bedazzled!

You glimmer!
I'm callous.
You glitter!
How dull.

You shiver!
You bore me.
I'm bedazzled, I'm bedazzled, I'm bedazzled!

I'm not availible.

Bedazzled is also a remake of a 1967 comedy film that was directed by Harold Ramis in 2000. The new screenplay was written by Harold Ramis, Larry Gelbart, and Peter Tolan based upon the original script and story written by Peter Cook and Dudley Moore. The movie has a runtime of 98 minutes and a rating of PG-13.

Elliot Richards is a simple technical advisor at a call center. He's lonely, has no real friends, and the crush of his life doesn't even know his name. In one night, all of his wishes could come true. The Devil comes to him with a contract for his soul, and in return he gets 7 wishes. With his wishes can he reach his true love?

First, we start on the wrong foot here with this movie since it's a remake. When I first heard about the remake I only recovered upon hearing Harold Ramis's name. I had some hope again. Then I heard who were going to play the seller and buyer of the soul. Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley would not be my first choices, and one wonders if they decided to make the Devil female just to attract a crowd that wants to see Hurley. The jokes were alright, with a little bit of pain from the protagonist being amazingly clueless. A fair movie, but not a keeper in my book. Nowhere as magnificent as Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's film. This movie has none of the character developing that the original had. The friendship that forms between the seller and buyer is not a main part of the film. In this aspect, I believe that the original had a much greater story as well.

The changes between the films that watchers of the original might be interested in. There is no appearance of the seven deadly sins. None. It was pure joy in the original watching these creations, but not here. The devil makes fewer appearances, and a much lesser impact on each wish. In the original the Devil was almost always an important character in each wish, in the remake we only have slight appearances. One interesting aspect that this movie uses is that Elliot's "friends" make appearances in his wishes as other characters. This is probably filling in for the Devil's absence. In this film, God makes a physical appearance, at least according to the credits. It is only implied that the character that Elliot meets in jail is God. My greatest displeasure was from the fact that the wish in the original film that gave the movie its name is absent. There is no wish that Elliot becomes a rock star in the normal film, however, there is such a scene on the DVD release. I have not seen this cut scene and cannot confirm whether one of the songs sung in it is Bedazzled.

Main Cast:
Brendan Fraser - Elliot Richards/Jefe/Mary
Elizabeth Hurley - The Devil
Frances O'Connor - Alison Gardner/Nicole Delarusso
Miriam Shor - Carol/Penthouse Hostess
Orlando Jones - Daniel 'Dan/Danny'/Esteban/Beach Jock/Lamar Garrett/Dr. Umgiggedygiggedybaba
Paul Adelstein - Bob/Roberto/Beach Jock/Bob Bob
Toby Huss - Jerry/Alejandro/Beach Jock/Jerry Turner/Lance
Gabriel Casseus - Elliot's cellmate/God

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.