display | more...

    Belden Hall is a residence hall in the Alumni Quadrangle at the University of Connecticut, named after L. Richard Belden. Born in 1904, Beldon served as a UConn trustee from 1952 to 1957 and on the liaison committee for higher education. He also served as director of the University of Connecticut Foundation. In addition he served as state representative and as deputy speaker of the House of Representatives.

    While attending Connecticut Agricultural College, he was editor-in-chief of the Connecticut Campus during his senior year and a member of the debating club and class historian. He graduated in 1927. In World War II he served in the Army Air Force, where he attained the rank of major.

    An investment advisor and securities broker, Richard Belden served under Connecticut governors James L. McConaughy (see McConaughy Hall) and James C. Shannon as executive secretary. He worked as chairman of the General Assembly's appropriations committee from 1963 to 1967.

    Active in Hartford, Mr. Belden was a member of the West Hartford Republican Town Committee and the Board of Governors of the Hartford County Republican Associates. He was also a founder of the Connecticut Young Republicans.

--back to University of Connecticut--

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.