Born 1920. Ben Bagdikian began his career in journalism in 1941. Within a few years, he started focusing on the inaccuracies of the decade's most prominent news commentators, and eventually widened his investigative net to analyze the entire media industry. His dedicated research into the problems of media conglomeration and news suppression have earned him many prestigious awards, including the Pulitzer Prize. In 1977, he accepted a teaching position at UC Berkeley and would eventually become Dean of the Graduate School of Journalism.

Bagdikian has written several books, but his most popular by far is The Media Monopoly, first published in 1983. At that time, he estimated that fewer than fifty companies control virtually all the world's media outlets, and was branded an "alarmist" for warning of an imminent trend toward increased conglomeration. As it turns out, he was absolutely right, and has since released revised editions of The Media Monopoly which keep shrinking the number of distinct media owners (it's now down to about six).

As a public speaker and columnist, Bagdikian's lucid, sobering media criticism has often been compared to the political essays of Noam Chomsky. Leftist commentators like Jello Biafra are particularly fond of using The Media Monopoly to show the inherent conflict of interest and the widening credibility gap in modern, corporate-controlled media.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.