When you talk about Benin, no one knows what you're talking about.

It's a whole new world; it's a dream I begin to doubt I even dreamt. It's a lonely planet write up that doesn't being to touch the surface of the richness and barrenness of this unknown land. I love it. I hate it. It's a place where waking up to the sound of drumbeats passing in the night is commonplace. It's a place where everyone greets their neighbor and men can touch each other in public.

It is a place filled with so much life that it slaps you in the face every day, that you are forced to breathe it in along with the heat and dust and noise of passing motorcycles, the music in the distance and the children shouting as you pass: yovoh! o-ibo!! WHITE! It is a place where children reach up to touch your hand with a swollen belly filled with the common meal of pâte - flour and water, cooked and cooled. No one dies of starvation that I know of.

It is a place with a rich and fascinating history, a people filled with pride and music, a land where everything is red like the earth or green like the lush foliage. It's a land of picturesque landscapes and always some deeper mystery lurking under the surface.

That's Bénin.

Since independence on 1 August 1960, Dahomey had a strikingly volatile history. The list of presidents includes a military coup every second or third year:
  1. Hubert Maga 1960-1963 (overthrown)
  2. Col. Christophe Soglo 1963
  3. Sourou-Migan Apithy 1964-1965 (overthrown)
  4. Tahirou Congacou 1965 (interim; overthrown)
  5. Gen. Christophe Soglo again 1965-1967 (overthrown)
  6. Cmdr Maurice Kouandété 1967
  7. Lt.Col. Alphonse Alley 1967-1968
  8. Dr Emile Zinsou 1968-1969 (overthrown)
  9. Paul-Emile de Souza 1969-1970
  10. Hubert Maga again 1970-1972
  11. Justin Ahomadegbe 1972 (overthrown)
  12. Maj. Mathieu Kérékou 1972-1991
  13. Nicéphore Soglo 1991-1996
  14. Mathieu Kérékou again 1996-
The 1970 government was a rotating presidential council consisting of independence leaders Maga, Ahomadegbe, and Apithy to try to achieve stability, but when Kérékou seized power on 26 October 1972 he proclaimed a Marxist state, and changed Dahomey's name to the People's Republic of Benin on 30 November 1975.

He also changed the flag to a red star in the canton of a green field. The flag of the ruling party had the colours reversed.

In 1990 popular agitation for democracy led to the creation of a National Convention. Kérékou agreed to hold democratic elections, which were won by the economist Soglo. The new Republic of Benin (1 March 1990) restored the original Dahomey flag, a green hoist next to yellow above red.

However in 1996 Kérékou was re-elected. At one point he had converted to Islam and called himself Ahmed Kérékou, but he seems to be Mathieu again now. In the democratic climate the founding president Hubert Maga resumed a senior role and was much mourned on his death in May 2000. In the presidential elections of 2001, Soglo and Kérékou again opposed each other, but Soglo has withdrawn after irregularities in the first round.

The capital of Benin is Porto-Novo, though the largest city is Cotonou. In the interior is Abomey, capital of the former kingdom of Dahomey, one of the most powerful West African states of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries: see under Dahomey for a history before colonial rule.

Portugal retained the old slave trade fort of Ouidah (Whydah) after independence. It was called São João Baptista da Ajudá and was ruled from São Tomé e Príncipe. It was absorbed by Dahomey in 1961.


The old kingdom of Benin, not the same as the kingdom of Dahomey giving rise to modern Benin, is famous for its magnificent bronze sculpture. Old Benin was in what is now Nigeria, centred on Benin City. Bronze casting technology is said to have been brought to Benin from Ife in the late fourteenth century by a sculptor called Igueghae. It became much more stylized than the Ife style. Most Benin bronzes glorify the Oba or king.

They are created with the lost mould technique: sculpted in wax, encased in clay, fired, and filled with molten bronze. The clay mould is then broken away.

Sir Richard Burton led an expedition to try to suppress human sacrifice in 1863, and the kingdom was placed under a British Resident in 1899, after a "punitive expedition" to avenge deaths of British emissaries led to the defeat and deposition of Oba Ovonramwen in 1897. The fabulous wealth of Benin City, including many great bronzes, was carried off and much of it is now in the British Museum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.