Beta Comae Berenices, or β Com to astronomers, is a Sun-like star about 30 light years from the Sun. It is slightly heavier, hotter and brighter than the Sun, at about 1.05 solar masses and about 142 percent of solar luminosity. The surface temperature is around 6000 kelvin, compared to the Sun's 5770K. This places it either at the hottest end of spectral class G – the same spectral class as the Sun – or at the coldest end of spectral class F, the next hotter class. Also, like the Sun, β Com is a main sequence star. Astronomers would write this as F9.5-G0V.

Although the Beta Bayer designation usually indicates the second-brightest star in its constellation, β Com is actually brighter than α Com. It's still fairly faint at magnitude 4.26, however.

This star is rated as being fairly likely to support habitable planets, since there are no companion stars or brown dwarves in a position to destabilize orbits in the star's habitable zone. Further, the star is not prone to wild variability or flares, is only slightly younger than the Sun and has slightly more than 107 percent of solar metallicity. All these things bode well for the presence of terrestrial planets in the habitable zone of the star. As such, it's one of the top ten targets for future terrestrial planet finding satellite missions.

β Com also has a few interesting near neighbors - the most interesting, in terms of being a host for habitable worlds, is Chara, also known as Beta Canum Venaticorum.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.