Hmmm... I'll make one more pass at this, and if it doesn't work I will leave it to greater minds than mine to figure it out, and I'll return to my humble country ways ...

This is a popular saying, from the Devil's point of view in Milton's Paradise Lost. C.S. Lewis quotes it in Mere Christianity, and more recently on some bathroom graffiti that said "America would rather reign in Hell than serve in Heaven". The sentence appears to present a paradox, but upon closer inspection its just a false statement. Is it really better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven? Of course not.

If it is safe to assume that Heaven = Happiness, and Hell = The opposite of Happiness, i.e., torment and sorrow and despair, and p implies q thusly, then THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY that reining in Hell is better than serving in Heaven.

Reign in Heaven? Sure, why not. Go for the gusto. Nice work if you can get it, that's what they tell me. You're still going to be held accountable to somebody, somewhere, at some point in your life. You will be expected to pay your taxes and not drive your SUV over your neighbor's kids, no matter how badly you want to, or how much fun it would be.

Have you ever had a job that you were good at, and that you enjoyed? Have you ever noticed how happy your dog gets when you pat him on the head and tell him "Good Dog"? Serve in Heaven, my friend. See if you don't like it better than being the sole arbiter of your fate, responsible for and beholden to no one but yourself. Come back and tell me what you think.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.