Facts on Miss Boop:

Betty Boop's first cartoon appearance was in the 1930s short, "Dizzy Dishes." In her first cameo appearance, Betty Boop was in the form of a dog with floppy ears.

This leggy drawing has starred in over 100 cartoons, and it was primarily in the 1930s that her character was critisized for being too sexy. Numerous musical guests have appeared in her cartoons, including Maurice Chevalier, Rudy Vallee, Ethel Merman, Louis Armstrong and Cab Calloway.

Her signature voice came form the vocal chords of Mae Questel, who also did the voice of Olive Oyl in Popeye cartoons (also a comic by Max Fleischer). Betty always wore her garter on the left leg- the garter dissappeared in her comics for a while during the 30's but was brought back later on.

The average length of her cartoons range from six to eight minutes, and each second of film contains 24 frames. Betty Boop was one of the first cartoons with a soundtrack, and she was also the first cartoon star to be profiled on "Biography" on A&E.

Betty Boop memorabilia is known as "Boopabilia," and her image is still very popular today. There is an annual Betty Boop festival that features look-alikes and tattoo contests.

"Snow White," a Betty Boop short, was created years before the Disney feature and is also one of my personal favorites, featuring an unusual but enchanting Cab Calloway performance.

The surreal quality of Betty Boop cartoons along with the charming aspect of her as a whole is what I love most and why I enjoy being a "boopaholic." Collecting Boopabilia is the only form of kitsch I (knowingly) embrace in my living space.

Help for this node came from booklets by The International Collectors Society.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.