Big City is a restaurant, bar and pool hall in Boston. Located at the corner of Brighton Avenue and Harvard Avenue, across from the infamous Blanchard’s in Allston, Big City is smack in the middle of the Allston nightlife. Big City is appreciated for it’s 82 beers on tap, 20 something pool tables for smokers and non-smokers, its beer infused pizza crust and of course, the atmosphere.

Marc Kadish started Big City in 1998 after having success with his local Boston brew house Boston Beer Works and his other bar known for its three digit selection of tap beers and 400 plus bottled, Sunset Grill and Tap. Housed in an old bank, Big City has been transformed to look like an old 50s era police station, complete with accessories like working traffic lights and parking meters.

The first floor is a small restaurant for casual dining with a very unique menu: Mediterranean Nachos, Big Daddy's Dry-Rubbed Ribs, and Lobster Ravioli. And the pizza, while similar to a certain unnamed west coast pizza chain… Big City boasts the ‘Eye Opener’ pizza complete with bacon, scrambled eggs and home fries; the PB&J pizza, Red White and Green pizza (tomato, plain and pesto sauces); and the Cheeseburger in Paradise.

The upper floor, complete with it’s own separate entrance, is a different world entirely. Take the turn from quiet dining to bar. And we’re not talking rowdy. The upstairs is huge, and even on a Saturday night there’s plenty of room to walk around. The sounds are mostly coming from the jukebox, games of pool being broken and chatter from a selection of people mingling at the bar. There are waitresses who serve the two pool rooms, bringing you beers, empting your ashtrays and heading to the kitchen for pub grub until closing. The tables are in great shape, you don’t have to fight for a stick, and usually the only thing in the way of your shot is the occasional small table filled with beers or a person or two.

Since it is 21+ upstairs, the crowd tends to be recent college grads or those trying to get there. Big City is open until 1:00 AM, they take any kind of plastic you hand them (except diners club) and is best described in one word as: fun.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.