Written by Carl Sagan. A really great book. Deals with many different topics, including pollution, abortion, God, ET life/intelligence, etc. Sagan died right as he was wrapping up the book and his wife wrote about the last few days of his life. End is sad b/c near end Sagan says that he finds out he has cancer but thinks he'll be fine and recover, then the next section is his wife saying how he died. :(

BTW, Contact, written by Sagan, is also very good IMHO.
A phrase often associated with noted astronomer and science writer, Carl Sagan.

One of the things that got the phrase "billions and billions" associated with Carl Sagan (other than his book by that name) is the interesting vocal inflections he placed upon the B's and S's when saying it (he said it quite often of many topics). He placed an emphasis on the B in Billions with a slight nasal inflection and an open (but accentuated), loose cheeked release. The S's in Billions were pronounced like soft Z's.

These interesting pronounciations were not limited to the word Billions, however, as Sagan seemed to have a similar tendency with other words beginning with closed mouth letters and ending with the letter "s".

Mr. Sagan used the phrase quite often in attempting to describe, in layman's terms, the number of stars in the universe, but also used it in various other descriptions of particles and macro-objects such as galaxies.

An excellent example of Mr. Sagan's vocal patterns (as well as some excellent scientific, historical, and astronomical observations) can be found in the 1980 PBS series entitled "Cosmos", which is available as a VHS set.
Carl Sagan never actually said "Billions and billions" until his last book. Sagan does carefully define billions for his audience, and frequently says the word alone.

The phrase was made popular by Johnny Carson, and was grabbed by other comedians, even unto Berke Breathed. In the book, Sagan does "say" the phrase just to make us all happy.

Sagan will not be the only person remembered by history for a catchphrase he never actually said.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.