Acronym for Berkeley Internet Name Daemon. Resolves internet hostnames into IP addresses. I believe that BIND is a domain server. If it is, it is a popular one on UNIX systems.

Useful BIND administration tips:

The ndc utilitiy (probably in /usr/sbin/) is a handy way to control the upness of your nameserver. As root, try

#/usr/sbin/ndc stats
#/usr/sbin/ndc reload
#/usr/sbin/ndc stop
#/usr/sbin/ndc restart

Sometimes you just have to do a manual zone transfer. The command is:
#/usr/sbin/named-xfer -z zone-domain-name -f filename -s 0 IP-address-of-master

Debugging:
Try $less /var/log/messages | grep named

Attrib: concepts drawn from man pages, reformatted from my own cheat sheet notes.

Disclaimer: The following node contains Occult information and/or rituals. It may be considered morally innappropriate and may even be illegal where you live. I do not neccessarily believe the following information to be factual, however it is believed so by Occultists and/or mythological texts. What you do with this information is your own choice, and if you choose to follow these ritual(s) and you hurt yourself, you do it at your own risk. You have been warned.

"Binding", in terms of the Occult, is blocking ones power. It can be used by either good or evil spellcasters, however is most commonly used by evil witches. Good spellcasters may bind someones power so that they cannot use it and hence cannot harm themselves or others. Evil spellcasters, on the other hand, would bind an enemy's power so that they could not trouble them any longer. In order to bind someone, the binder must have greater power, otherwise the target could, and would, fight the bind off.

To bind, all the caster required was a drawing, painting or picture of the target, and a length of lace. The caster simply wraps the lace around the drawing/painting/picture while chanting: "I bind thy power for (good or gain)." (replace with your reason. Ex. good - for preventing harm. gain - for preventing inconvenience to me.

An example of binding can be seen in the movie, "The Craft".

Bind (?), v. t. [imp. Bound (?); p. p. Bound, formerly Bounden (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Binding.] [AS. bindan, perfect tense band, bundon, p. p. bunden; akin to D. & G. binden, Dan. binde, Sw. & Icel. binda, Goth. bindan, Skr. bandh (for bhandh) to bind, cf. Gr. (for ) cable, and L. offendix. &root;90.]

1.

To tie, or confine with a cord, band, ligature, chain, etc.; to fetter; to make fast; as, to bind grain in bundles; to bind a prisoner.

2.

To confine, restrain, or hold by physical force or influence of any kind; as, attraction binds the planets to the sun; frost binds the earth, or the streams.

He bindeth the floods from overflowing. Job xxviii. 11.

Whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years. Luke xiii. 16.

3.

To cover, as with a bandage; to bandage or dress; -- sometimes with up; as, to bind up a wound.

4.

To make fast ( a thing) about or upon something, as by tying; to encircle with something; as, to bind a belt about one; to bind a compress upon a part.

5.

To prevent or restrain from customary or natural action; as, certain drugs bind the bowels.

6.

To protect or strengthen by a band or binding, as the edge of a carpet or garment.

7.

To sew or fasten together, and inclose in a cover; as, to bind a book.

8.

Fig.: To oblige, restrain, or hold, by authority, law, duty, promise, vow, affection, or other moral tie; as, to bind the conscience; to bind by kindness; bound by affection; commerce binds nations to each other.

Who made our laws to bind us, not himself. Milton.

9. Law (a)

To bring (any one) under definite legal obligations; esp. under the obligation of a bond or covenant.

Abbott. (b)

To place under legal obligation to serve; to indenture; as, to bind an apprentice; -- sometimes with out; as, bound out to service.

To bind over, to put under bonds to do something, as to appear at court, to keep the peace, etc. -- To bind to, to contract; as, to bind one's self to a wife. -- To bind up in, to cause to be wholly engrossed with; to absorb in.

Syn. -- To fetter; tie; fasten; restrain; restrict; oblige.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bind (?), v. i.

1.

To tie; to confine by any ligature.

They that reap must sheaf and bind. Shak.

2.

To contract; to grow hard or stiff; to cohere or stick together in a mass; as, clay binds by heat.

Mortimer.

3.

To be restrained from motion, or from customary or natural action, as by friction.

4.

To exert a binding or restraining influence.

Locke.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bind, n.

1.

That which binds or ties.

2.

Any twining or climbing plant or stem, esp. a hop vine; a bine.

3. Metal.

Indurated clay, when much mixed with the oxide of iron.

Kirwan.

4. Mus.

A ligature or tie for grouping notes.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.