The first Intelligence test that attempted to measure higher mental functions rather than more primitive abilities, such as reaction times. It was devised by Alfred Binet and Theodor Simon for French schoolchildren in 1905.

Bibliography: I. Medicine, Popular-Dictionaries. I.morgan, Peter, 1927- .II. Canadian Medical Association.III. Reader's Digest Association(Canada). IV. Title: Home medical encyclopedia.

It has been used for ages to motivate segregation and to show that all people are equal, but some people are more equal than others. Ken Richardsson harshly attacked all IQ tests that, like Binet-Simon, are designed to have any special type of result distribution function (typically normal distribution) in the book The Making of Intelligence. The most compelling story of how IQ tests have been used to harm schoolchildren is present in the book "De måske egnede"(those who might be acceptable), where the main character must continually fight sterotyping through intelligence testing, and then time itself, to be thought of as a real person. Getting a handle on children using an IQ test fits right into the theories of N.F.S. Grundtvig, Danish priest and thinker, who wished to educate all of the people and who thus needed to know how much education should be alloted to any given person.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.