A super-hero created by Bob Kanigher and Carmine Infantino for DC Comics. Her first Golden Age appearance was in Flash Comics #86 and her first Silver Age appearance was in Justice League of America #219.

The origin and history of this heroine could best be described as convoluted. The original character was Dinah Drake Lance, the daughter of a Gotham City police officer. When Lance's application to the Gotham City police department was turned down, she adopted a costumed identity, consisting of a blond wig and fishnet hose. She fought crime along side heroes like Johnny Thunder and eventually became a member of the Justice Society of America.

The character was reintroduced to the DC Comics universe in the 1970s and not until 1983 was it decide that the Golden Age heroine and her Silver Age counterpart were two different people. The Silver Age Black Canary was in fact the original's daughter, Dinah Laurel Lance. This new heroine had the same costume and also possessed a sonic cry called her "canary cry." Later, in another fit of revisionist history, DC Comics decided that in the post-Crisis universe the Silver Age Black Canary had been one of the founding members of the Justice League of America, along with the Green Lantern, the Flash, the Martian Manhunter, and Aquaman.

Black Canary had a long time relationship with Oliver Queen, the Green Arrow. During the time the two heroes resided in Seattle, the Black Canary was captured and tortured by a drug dealer. The Green Arrow killed the dealer to save her, but her injuries caused her to lose her sonic cry.

Of late, Black Canary and Barbara Gordon, the former Batgirl, have teamed up and star in their own comic, Birds of Prey.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.